Manual Steering...

SupraPT

Aug 21, 2005
hey guys, my PS sucks, i have removed the res, and pump was was told that driving a PS rack with no ps is bad, so i want to go manual. are there any options for the mk3 out there. ive search or tried to search and have come up empty...

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
There are people who have used Mustang and RX-7 racks before, but I can't remember who they were...I hope someone will chime in with who.

SupraPT

Aug 21, 2005
the link really didnt do anything but show off the childish behavior of some members. the write up on the rx method was ok, anyone with the mustang way?

Supra5MGTE

Nov 11, 2005
Tampa, FL
I looked into doing it for my MK2, realized it'd be more of a PITA to go manual than fix the leaky rack. I think the main reason people say it's bad to run a power rack manually is bc of the gearing. it's not geared for "manual". and I'm sure you'll wanna make sure the rack has Lubricant in it, so if you sealed it up good.. ie clossed off the ports and such... it would work. I'd just keep the power. what's it worht? 5HP under full steering? in a straight line I bet the HP loss is less than 2HP b/c there's no real load being put on the pump/belt/engine.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
FWIW I had a low speed collision with a guardrail due to looped PPS rack..
Good 30mph drift + no PS + snap oversteer = bad news bears.

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
I never liked PS in mine...especially since it wasn't progressive. I would barely touch the wheel on the freeway and just about loose it, it's a PITA to try and not overcorrect with it. Plus I don't do drifting anyway, and it's good for the forearms!

Mr.SelfDestruct

I build planes... yeah...
May 27, 2005
everett, WA
supra90turbo said:
FWIW I had a low speed collision with a guardrail due to looped PPS rack..
Good 30mph drift + no PS + snap oversteer = bad news bears.

my buddy broke his thumb drifting w/out power steering:biglaugh: