maintenance on average in a year

turtle*

Sep 6, 2007
Chicago
I was just wondering how much money you guys spend on maintenance on average per year for your mk3. I understand that some mods are counted as maintenance, like say your fuel pump goes and you got a 255lph fuel pump that would be $50 more then a OEM-like. A list of things and prices would be idealy to get me more fimiliar with the car's issues.

try not to get smart with 1500$ for new motor and etc. that isn't maintenance that is overhauling.

I'm 21 looking to get a turbo supra as a 2nd car. already have my maxima paid off as my DD. Pretty solid runner. Now looking for a toy car. Aside for the BHG problem which can be the biggest ticket.

Honestly i expect every car to require $1000 in maintenance for every year you own the car. That is my thoughts on owning a used car. Obviously your first couple months with a new car will be spent on tune-up and making sure everything runs smoothly.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Like you said, the 1st couple months are very rough. You'll be replacing A LOT of rubber parts, and possibly parts of the cooling system. Over the 1st year you'll likely have many oil leaks needing repair as well, and if you have a targa, there is a good chance it will drip some water now and again.

None of that is really that daunting, but it might seem like a constant stream of replacing parts for a while. After thats over with though, it's pretty smooth... now I do very little maintenance to my car besides fluid/filter changes and keeping it clean (including keeping cooling free of debris).

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
$17.86 per day, or 75 cents per mile.

[edit] If you just count purely maintenance type things I've spent $800 since February, not counting gas ($850) and insurance ($774). I've put 5000 miles on the car so far. [/edit]

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Got my car 2 months ago and have spent about 500 on basic maintenence stuff. Then 900 on a tranny rebuild :(

2 changes on the tranny fluid due to rebuild(Redline MT-90)
Diff fluid
Oil Change
Thermostat
Coolant Flush
Radiator Cap
Brake Rotors
Brake fluid
Clutch kit
Hoses coming soon.
*Edit, forgot spark plugs
-and air filter
-and valve cover gaskets
Lots of other small things, bolts as well.

Car already runs better than my old car and actually better than both my parents' 3 year old cars. :)

Last edited:

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
~$2000 to repair everything that may be wrong w/ it, hoses, fluids, belts, random gaskets, random leaks and or minor parts.

after that on pure maintenance like plugs and fluids i average ~$300 per year. I dont spend much because i have a good base but the harder i drive it the more things start to need repairing.

Depends on what you start off with really, if its well taken care of and maintained well your good, but if the cars been neglected, old, or abused your looking at spending tons more.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
am i the only one who constantly has little stupid shit go wrong with the supra?? i love my car more than anything (ive always wanted a turbo targa supra) but it gets real annoying and downright depressing sometimes. but i guess its worth it when it works......

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
supra_ed said:
am i the only one who constantly has little stupid shit go wrong with the supra?? i love my car more than anything (ive always wanted a turbo targa supra) but it gets real annoying and downright depressing sometimes. but i guess its worth it when it works......

Dude, you're preaching to the choir. My electrical is always fucked up. I'm always working on replacing little stuff that's broken. You should see my stack of invoices from Champion Toyota. But 1 part at a time, my car is becoming more and more perfect.

Adam

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not including things like rebuilding my 1JZ, breaking my 1JZ, buying a 2JZ, etc. The things I've done on my car since I got it almost 2 years ago just for maintenence.

New fuel pump
New brake pads
New clutch
New shifter bushings
Swap in another set of used turbos. (1JZ problems)
New ECU (1JZ problems)

That basically covers all the maintenence I did on my car.

Then there's like 10 grand in upgrades, but we won't go into that.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Alot. Mainly because I get lots up upgrade parts lol. For actual maintenance between $500-1000 a year so far I think.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I rellay don't want to try and add it up, but I'm a little OCD when it comes to things working the way they should, so it's been a lot...

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Im not sure if you can get a budget planned for maintenance on a 20 year old car that you dont know the history of. Maybe after youve had it a few years and got to know the car pretty well could you expect to know what to spend.

You might try to expect that oil changes will come every 3k miles and cost XX. What happens when you got an oil leak or bhg or something else to cause more oil changes. Plan to change your brake pads on a schedule then find out a caliper is sticking and killed a set of pads.

Just doesnt seem like its going to happen if you plan to spend XX$ a year, anything can happen. You can sure Hope to spend that but be ready to spend Alot more.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
mkIIIman089 said:
Like you said, the 1st couple months are very rough. You'll be replacing A LOT of rubber parts, and possibly parts of the cooling system. Over the 1st year you'll likely have many oil leaks needing repair as well, and if you have a targa, there is a good chance it will drip some water now and again.

Rubber seals, hoses/coolant system parts are usually the first things that need replacement. Not something you should ignore and wait to fail.