Looking to buy a new computer....??

Hey guys/girls. I finally give up on my old computer. I want a new one.

I am curious on any input on which brand & models are good. I don't know much about them anymore.

I use it for:
-watching videos
-Music ( 2000-5000 Songs)
-Pictures from my digital
-School work ( word, powerpoint, etc.)
-I want to get into photoshop
-I play games from time to time...
- I would like to edit film from a video camera

I was looking at Apple's i-mac and at Dell's Dimension E520. Does anyone have an other suggestion on a computer or on hardware and software I should be looking into?

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
dear god, if you're gonna spend that much then just piece one together yourself. For $1500 you could build a pretty high end one that'd do everything you listed and you wouldn't really have to worry about upgrading for a few years.

Mine cost me just under $600 and it's a Conroe based system.

(I'm referring to building a PC... I'm not a fan of apples)

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I've had tons of terrible experiences with Dell computers. I've owned a couple and my family has had too many.

When I read your requirements the first thing I thought was "This would be perfect for a Mac!" Video editing and Photoshop will be better on a Mac. If you're not doing high-end video stuff then iMovie HD, which comes free with Mac OS X, should be sufficient for your needs, whereas you'd probably have to buy a program for a PC.

I have built almost all of my desktop computers for myself, as well as plenty for other people, before I bought my first Mac. I have found that saving a few bucks or getting a little bit extra performance for your money by building the computer yourself isn't worth it if the operating system you run doesn't work very well. For what you're doing just buying an Apple with Mac OS X will be a much much less frustrating experience. Pretty much everything just works and you don't have to worry much about viruses/spyware/adware/etc.

If you've never used a Mac before I wouldn't worry, they are pretty easy to pick up. Even my mom was able to start using one as her primary computer in her mid-40's. I would highly recommend the book "Mac OS X: The Missing Manual" as a reference for almost everything you can do in Mac OS X.

[edit] On a side note about price, with the new Apples price comparisons have been done between identically configured Dells, and it has been shown that the Apple computers are significantly cheaper for the exact same hardware. Also, it was shown that a home-built system would cost about the same, or maybe slightly cheaper, as the identical hardware in a Mac. I could go off on this for quite a bit longer, but I've typed quite a bit already. [/edit]

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
oscolivar1 said:
i like dell
:puke:

I second Swaq.

Dell is a POS. Simple as that. They're cheap, but its for a reason.

I own a pretty new Powerbook G4 10.4.x and Sony Vaio XP Pro Desktop.
They both have their pros and cons.

PC Pros:
  • Easy to upgrade on your own, tons of choices for components
  • Don't need much expertise to work on them
  • Lots of programs readily available
  • Larger market share, so more support as well
  • Vista to be released soon. I have the Beta waiting to be installed, haven't gotten around so iono if its worth all the hype

Mac Pros:
  • UNIX-based, OS fairly stable.
  • Lots of eye-candy, and more intuitive and well thought UI
  • Everything really truly does just work. After I config'ed a print server on my network on the host PC, it took me a good 1.5hrs to get my PC to connect to the damn thing w/ 3 million errors. Took the Mac about 4 minutes. Same story with every other device.
  • Much less chance of getting a virus
  • Faster w/ less power
  • iLife is FTMFW!!!

PC Con's:
  • Less secure. More market share not only means more support, but more viruses built for the platform
  • Nothing works the way it should. I don't care if you follow the directions verbatim, you will still end up w/ some problem more often than not
  • Less stable

Mac Con's:
  • If you want to buy a program you actually have to *look* for it
  • DAMN expensive to fix. DON'T buy an Apple w/o Applecare, you will be screwed when something breaks. ::experience speaking::
  • You really can't upgrade them yourself, its practically impossible to get parts, and when you do its nutty expensive.
  • They DO crash-just not as often. No computer is flawless (acquaint yourself with the term "kernel panic")

That said, as far as PC's, I would only build my own, none of the desktop makers are any good, unless you want to pay double what you should and get a Sony. For a laptop I would only buy Toshiba, Fujitsu, or Sony (in that order). ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BUY DELL. Aside from their cheap components, I would rather deal with Satan and his demons than their customer service. They are completely incapable in tech support, and have terrible customer service.

So, by your list of wants, I would say go with the Mac. They are VERY compatible with PC's, and OS 10.4.x is beautiful. For pictures, movies, music, office work, Mac is hands-down better. Adobe CS2 is much better to work w/ in Mac than PC, the pallets are laid out more cleanly and such.

EDIT: Again to second what Swaq said, they are also very easy to pick up. The UI works identical to PC's if you don't get freaked by the minimize buttons being on the left and your programs down at the bottom of the screen. Other than that its very similar.

Last edited:

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
A common myth is that Windows computer have more viruses written for them because they have a much larger user-base. The fact is Mac OS X (and other Unix-based operating systems) are designed more securely so that it is significantly harder to find and use exploits.

In the year and a half that I've had my iBook I think it's only crashed on me a handful of times, and I've never had it mention a kernel panic error (though I have in Linux before). I can't even remember the last time it froze/crashed. A well built Windows XP system that you keep updated with anti-virus and anti-spyware software can be pretty stable, but not nearly as much as Mac OS X. Also, with Mac OS X, you generally don't have to reboot when you install new programs. Ugh, I hate doing that on my PC.

Just thought I'd mention the stability since I don't think Chad gave it enough credit. Chad, perhaps you have a program or something that is keeping your system from being as stable as it should be? Faulty RAM could also keep a system from running as stable as it could be.

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
swaq said:
A common myth is that Windows computer have more viruses written for them because they have a much larger user-base. The fact is Mac OS X (and other Unix-based operating systems) are designed more securely so that it is significantly harder to find and use exploits.

In the year and a half that I've had my iBook I think it's only crashed on me a handful of times, and I've never had it mention a kernel panic error (though I have in Linux before). I can't even remember the last time it froze/crashed. A well built Windows XP system that you keep updated with anti-virus and anti-spyware software can be pretty stable, but not nearly as much as Mac OS X. Also, with Mac OS X, you generally don't have to reboot when you install new programs. Ugh, I hate doing that on my PC.

Just thought I'd mention the stability since I don't think Chad gave it enough credit. Chad, perhaps you have a program or something that is keeping your system from being as stable as it should be? Faulty RAM could also keep a system from running as stable as it could be.
Actually, you are right. I didn't give them as much credit, I've been a bit jaded with this PB I have now. I've owned a Powerbook and iBook before this, and they were pretty good on the whole. But I am convinced there is a memory conflict on this one. I've had about 4 or 5 kernel panic's and other errors since I bought it May 06, and programs crash regularly. I just can't get Apple to fix it easily, and haven't had the time to deal with it properly. I had KP's on both the other ones, but only once or twice in their lives. Comparatively I've had the PC for about 3 years I believe, and I've only had it BSOD maybe 10 times over that: about the same as my Mac's. And its ALWAYS updated and secured.

As for experience with Applecare, on my last one the logic board had some weird problem-my display went nuts, was getting some sort of input but was only showing random vertical bars, but one thin black one would track with my mouse, and you could see shifts when I would open a window or whatever (I mirrored it onto another display, that worked OK). Mac said they *thought* it was the logic board, I could send it in, and pay 350 for a diagnostic. If it was the logic board, that price would pretty much cover it, but they said it *might* be the LCD itself, at which point I'd need to either pay an EXTRA 700 to get the LCD replaced or they could ship it back as is and they'd keep the 350 diagnostic. No thanks. I just went ahead and bought a new one-WITH Applecare.

And thats correct on the viruses. Because its so much harder to write malicious code for them because most of the holes are locked up, most people don't even bother. Of course, add to it the small market share and its not even worth the time. But it CAN be done, nothing is perfect.

1st question...Kernel panic?

I appreciate your help. I've always wanted a apple.

I work construction. I did a demolition job in an old office and they left a bunch of old compaq's. I got it for free and it was a huge upgrade to my packard bell 300mhz. I use the computer too damn much not to be happy wiht it:naughty:

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
JSHeinrich said:
1st question...Kernel panic?

I appreciate your help. I've always wanted a apple.

I work construction. I did a demolition job in an old office and they left a bunch of old compaq's. I got it for free and it was a huge upgrade to my packard bell 300mhz. I use the computer too damn much not to be happy wiht it:naughty:
Equivalent to the PC BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). Basically means your computer decides its more fun to suddenly not allow you to do anything besides turn it off. On Windoze it either immediately shuts off your computer on its own or else gives you the Blue Screen saying you have to restart, yada yada. On Mac it dims your entire screen and displays this lovely little box telling you to restart your computer.
KP Info From Wiki
KP Info from Apple

Yeah, I'd really go for it. Just be SURE you add Applecare. The assurance is worth every penny. If you want a good machine and can't swing the extra couple hundred, you can add it any time w/in your manuf. warranty (1 yr). It will extend the warranty to 3 years from date you purchased computer.

buckshotglass

I love all your sounds.
all correct, except, I have never needed apple care. I just replaced the cd drive, and it was 79 dollars with light scribe. Mac FTW. Just don't plan to hook your car up to it. I don't know if there is a standalone that is Mac or not. I know mine isnt. Get a sweet IBook unit. The new ones are super fast.

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
buckshotglass said:
all correct, except, I have never needed apple care. I just replaced the cd drive, and it was 79 dollars with light scribe. Mac FTW. Just don't plan to hook your car up to it. I don't know if there is a standalone that is Mac or not. I know mine isnt. Get a sweet IBook unit. The new ones are super fast.
Funny, I've had problems with this computer, the last one, and my brother's iPod. Maybe we're just unlucky, but repairs are too expensive w/o it to risk it. I would gladly pay the price for the assurance over the next 3 years.
And no more iBooks: MacBook now. ;)

suprajjang

Supra Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005
VA
SupraDerk said:
dear god, if you're gonna spend that much then just piece one together yourself. For $1500 you could build a pretty high end one that'd do everything you listed and you wouldn't really have to worry about upgrading for a few years.

Mine cost me just under $600 and it's a Conroe based system.

(I'm referring to building a PC... I'm not a fan of apples)

i agree. I just spent little bit over 1500 and got a badass system. i ordered the conroe e6600 dual core processor, evga mobo, 2 gigs of corsair xms memory, 7950gt video card and so on. if you build one yourself you will build a system that is a whole lot better and lot cheaper than the name brand computers

fandffan

Aug 26, 2006
Bowling Green, OH
I used to have a few friends that only bought Hypersonic laptops and they were really really nice. They also sell PC's which I'm assuming are just as nice. Here is a link to their website. http://www.hypersonic-pc.com/2001/systems-gaming.asp

I personally reccomend buying a laptop. They are just as nice as any PC plus you can take it anywhere. If you dont like the touchpad then buy a usb mouse for 10$ and use that. Just my thoughts tho.

outofstep

Mar 31, 2005
fwb
I know the standard reply is "wait just abit and something cool is gonna come out" but in this case it realy is true. Quad cores will be out very soon. It's what I'm waiting for to upgrade to.

My main rig is a single, my lappy is a dual. I'll never go back to singles after the dual. A quad? Good god that'll be glorious.

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
over the summer I built an amd sys for my brother for moderate gaming. for about $800 (19" LCD to keyboard) and some OC'ing, he's got an 3000+ (@2.25, stock cooling, 939pin, not am2), gig o' ram, ATI 800gto, 320 gig perp recording HD and a few other goodies. Even on windoz MC, its one of the fastest booting systems I've seen (based on the parts).

Not to mention it benches faster than Dell 3ghz pent D at work in every test I threw at it - not to mention uses less electricity than the dell.

Conroe is fast, but you can still put together a sweet 939 sys for a good bit less. work a little OC magic (I actually have an asrock board that would OC higher (2.4 stable all day long) than the asus deluxe I used, but it didn't like high power pci-e cards w/o a PS connector. Would run any agp all day long though) and you'll have a rockin' system for not a lot of dough. Infact, with the money you save, go buy a 24" lcd...

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
did I mention mac's are ghey:gaybar:

there is no difference using photoshop et al between mac and pc (I use both) and the video editing is more software than platform dependent anyway...(IME)

the spinning pizza o' death? OSX is real stable...yep:3d_frown:
if you are getting BSOD's, you have shitty hardware...

btw- you can run windoz on the intel macs if you were so inclined...