Looking to buy a metal headgasket, need help.

teamfuel91

Jan 29, 2006
Texas
Hey, I am replacing my head gasket on my '91 Turbo MKIII, has anyone had any experiences with metal head gaskets? I am comparing a Cometic, HKS, and a Titan head gaskets, has anyone used any of these? If so, which is the best to go with? Thanks in advance for all the help.

fstoy

Soon to be Evil Twin
Mar 30, 2005
Texas
teamfuel91 said:
Hey, I am replacing my head gasket on my '91 Turbo MKIII, has anyone had any experiences with metal head gaskets? I am comparing a Cometic, HKS, and a Titan head gaskets, has anyone used any of these? If so, which is the best to go with? Thanks in advance for all the help.

Depends on your power goals, if any... Cometic and titan HG are good for stock to mildly modded engines, HKS stopper for highly modded engines.

Just make sure the head and block have been lapped or resurfaced, and use ARP hardware.

Happy boosting!

EdgeSupra

Feb 19, 2006
New Jersey
IJ. said:
Guess I should swap my Cometic out for a HKS then ......:nono:

hahahaha
whats the difference between them? i figured they were all basically the same, i mean, they are all made of steel, as long as you get the right thickness.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Cometic FTW. I have ran one for 4 years now making good hp and really hammering on it. It finally started leaking coolant just last week. Took the gasket off and its still together. The gasket gave up because I never retorqued the ARPS after a year or so.

Cometic can easilly withstand 1000hp+

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Sorry for any misunderstanding I was being sarcastic....... :3d_frown:

I'd like to hear from FStoy why he thinks the HKS is better than the Cometic for high HP applications...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
thesandymancan said:
which cometic is the best? there's 3 on the hpf website.

Take a look at this:
http://www.cometic.com/catalogs/AutoCat04.pdf

The MLS gasket (the one we use) comes in multiple thickness...you can custom order one as well.

I'm running one...IMO it's the best out there for the 7M. It's a little more forgiving on head/block surface RA than the others.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
another vote for the cometic here. i'm running one. :)

-shaeff

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
fstoy said:
Depends on your power goals, if any... Cometic and titan HG are good for stock to mildly modded engines, HKS stopper for highly modded engines.

Just make sure the head and block have been lapped or resurfaced, and use ARP hardware.

Happy boosting!

Shaeff: See above! ^