Limp Mode

jerrold

Jun 22, 2006
Roanoke Va.
Purchased a 87 supra yesterday guy said vacuum lines were out of place,and it was supposed to have something to do with the tranny only shifting manually instead of auto . Iknow buyer beware ,but I Love SUPRAS and Iwasn;nt about to pass this one up It's NA and auto .Sorry for the long spill need guidance on where to go and what to do also no dome ,cig lighter,or overhead lights . Car can be shifted as long as you start in L: and move up to D,but if put in D first it just sits there like someone pulled the E-Brake any help is appreciated and I take constructive criticism very well being new to the Supra community. Thanks in advance.

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Theres a map of the vacuum lines and where they go on the underside of the hood. Autozone sells new hose for cheap, just replace it all now.

Check all the fuses, theres fuse boxes behind kick panels on each side of the car. Near the dead pedal on the drivers side, exact opposite on the passenger side.

I dont know about the transmisson. Maybe a dead sensor on the transmission Probally electrical since you can still shift manually. Havent had an auto for almost 5 years.

jerrold

Jun 22, 2006
Roanoke Va.
Thanks Pulled the line routing off TSRM and got those squared away checked the dome and cig fuse both OK still no dome or cig. Is there maybe a fusible link hidden. As far as the tranny goes I'm stumped . Not knowledgeable enough at this time figure this any tranny gurus available or electronics for that matter.

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Maybe if the original owner toyed with the stereo they may have forgotten to plug the cig lighter back in, you could take the center console bezel out with a few screws (Right side of shifter, and one on the far left near/behind the wiper controls, and 2-4 in the ash tray). I forgot to plug mine in a couple of times so maybe thats it.

The bulbs just might be dead in the dome. It comes out with just a few screws too. get some new bulbs and check the single connecter/wire thats up there.

I cant find anything on the tranny problem. Theres a few plugs on the intake side that are for automatics. Down near the starter, check and make sure the connections are clean and that its all plugged in.

jerrold

Jun 22, 2006
Roanoke Va.
Yellow 13 thanks checked the cig lighter will do the same with the dome light. any more info onthose plugs on the intake are worth the world to me. Any takers.

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
All my harnesses are out of the car so I dont know how helpful this pic will be.

IIRC whats circled in red is the transmission wires, the large white one isnt used in manuals and just routes back. Im pretty sure its used in automatics though. Check and make sure those plugs are all hooked up. Edit, The are on the bottom of the intake near the transmission oil stick.

Also check your shift linkage. Im not exactly sure how look up TSRM or maybe you could find a transmission shop around you that could inspect it.

jerrold

Jun 22, 2006
Roanoke Va.
Checked plugs today all were connected .Kinda hoping they weren't. I'll check TSRM to seeif I can find out anymore info on the wiring.By the way I was trying to display trans trouble codes. TRSM said to use a paperclip from E1 toTT I have an E1 but no TT does it mean ECT tranks for the clarification:1zhelp:

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
The linkage is easy to do. get under the car, have someone move the shifter from say Neutral toward P, note which way it goes. Then loose the bolt on the linkage (12mm I believe, right under the shifter) turn the little arm on the trans all the way in the direction that P was from park and then tighten the linkage back down w/ the shifter in P also. Thats how I've always done it. It's probably not the right way to do it, but it's always worked for me.

For the cig, make sure the little wire on the back of the "rig" isn't broken off or fried or something right at the base of it.

HTH

jerrold

Jun 22, 2006
Roanoke Va.
I'll try that first thing in the morning .Hope that's what 's causing the problem. I could not get the trouble codes to to work need more info on which pins to access. Strange how it shifts manually but not auto:1zhelp:

BoostLess7mge

JDM owns me...
Aug 29, 2005
Chicago
as far as the trans goes, having to shift it manually...pull off the passenger side kick plate and that other panel below the glove box, pull back the carpet a little bit, there should be a small computer with a harness going into it(i believe it says 7mge). this is the trans computer and tells the trans when to shift. if that computer is broken, or missing, the symptoms are the same to the ones you are experiencing right now! PM me if you need more info on that...

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
jerrold: my cig lighter didnt work and its just a loose connection on the back of the cig lighter, itll need rewiring. as for the dome lights, have you tried tightening the rivets?

jerrold

Jun 22, 2006
Roanoke Va.
Thanks guys I found the prblem it was a fuse, of all things. now check engine light comes onwhen I rev the engine and the brake lights come on when I touch the brakes. Sorry for not posting back I'm a Army National Guard Recruiter. I get ome a little late .

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
shouldnt the brake lights come on when you apply the brake? or are you talking about the tail light out light

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Dont know if it will help, but have you checked to see if your ECT ecu is plugged in? Here is a post another member made today in the general section, it sounds a lot like what your experiencing with your tranny.

dbsupra90 said:
congrats!

also, when dynoing an auto, it works best if you unplug the ect ecu (pass side kick panel). this puts it in diag mode and you can lock it in gear and not have to worry about upshifting and downshifting.

what you do is put it in L which is 1st. you get the car rolling up to speed. then you shift into 2 which is 3rd gear. from there you can start the dyno run at any speed/rpm without it shifting. do not shift it to D b/c this is OD in diag mode.

just thought this might be helpful to you on future dyno runs or anyone else that doesnt know about this.

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
I had the same problem when i got my new tranny. Turns out i had a bad cluster speed sensor for the speedo cable. Is the speedometer working ? try pulling tranny codes :

http://cygnusx1.net/supra/TechTips/transmission_error_codes.aspx

It helped me out alot, because if everything is hooked up and its still doing that then it might be a wheel speed sensor or possible bad speedo sensor in the cluster. Start with the tranny trouble codes first, i bet you will find one.

As far as the ECU....the trans computer is integrated into the main ECU for the 86.5-88 supra's instead of the 89-92 N/A auto, they have separate brain boxes for thier trans. Good Luck !

specialblend30141

May 4, 2006
SoCaL
hey man i got the solution to your cig and dome lights problem. same thing happened to me. pull both door panels and i bet you anything that your little red lights arent plugged in, there at the bottom right side on ur right door and left on left door, plug those puppies in and you have heat in ur cig lighter and got lights on in ur dome