Lexus Throttle Body

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
Anyone use the throttle body from a v8 lexus? I believe stock is 60mm and the lexus is 70mm. I want to upgrade but I wanted to see if others have done this and if there's much to gain with this mod.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yep...the stock 7M TB is a 60mm bore. The Lex TB does not have the same bolt pattern though and does it accept a 7M TPS (or can the LEX TPS be wired for the 7M TCCS)?

Another thing to consider is the TB opening in the 7M-GTE plenum...it would have to be bored. The Grp A 7M TB was at 67mm iirc and required this.

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
figgie;1165288 said:
and the other question is what exactly do you "think" is being upgraded?

Anyway go big or get out of this playground.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72895

The airflow CFM, the throttle response, and overall diameter of intercooler piping you can use are all things that I "think" are being upgraded. As for your second comment I can only assume that you're saying that you're going big and I'm not.... or something?

Don't always assume that someone with less posts than you is a newb. I've been working on supras for 6 years and I have every intention of getting the most out of my car; or as you say, go big.

Do you have any helpful information or are you here to try to start trouble?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
JohnRardin;1167167 said:
The airflow CFM, the throttle response, and overall diameter of intercooler piping you can use are all things that I "think" are being upgraded. As for your second comment I can only assume that you're saying that you're going big and I'm not.... or something?

Don't always assume that someone with less posts than you is a newb. I've been working on supras for 6 years and I have every intention of getting the most out of my car; or as you say, go big.

Do you have any helpful information or are you here to try to start trouble?

Niether.

I am here to correct ignorant information.

CFM is meaningless if there is a restriction in the system. In this case the 7m intake opening, plenum, runners AND the intake ports.

Upgrading to a bigger opening throttle body actually nets you BAD low load throttle response as the opening area is also increased from the lowest point of the throttle blade opening.

Do not assume that going bigger in one area automagically nets you anything if the rest of the system remains unaddressed.

....and I have been working on Supras since 94. I am still learning up to this day.

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
he isnt being hostile.. so calm down.. if he was being hostile its because this has been discussed before all over the place and is clearly available in its proper forum.

BUT.

again you end up with bolt alignment issues... though run enough boost and it will make up for the lack of diameter :icon_surp

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
Nomad707;1167257 said:
he isnt being hostile.. so calm down.. if he was being hostile its because this has been discussed before all over the place and is clearly available in its proper forum.

BUT.

again you end up with bolt alignment issues... though run enough boost and it will make up for the lack of diameter :icon_surp

Yea, I know this has been covered before. Almost every post on here has someone saying "learn to use the search button!" but it doesn't meen that the search will bring anything worthwhile. I'm thinking about switching to the JDM TB since I have one layin around. What's the best (or easiest) TB upgrade if the lexus TB is so complicated?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
On a stock plenum, a bored or Grp a TB (67mm) is about your only option without significant work. You will still have to increase the inlet diameter on the plenum flange to match. There's one (an RC bored TB) for sale in the Mk III classifieds...a friend of mine has the RC TB and it works great.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
None.

Supra Grp A turbo Throttle body requires the intake manifold hole be enlarged. TPS is a bolt on affair.
Q45 TB requires mounting plate and TPS rigging along with throttle cable mod.
Lexus TB requires mounting plate and TPS rigging along with throttle cable mod.
Mustang TB requires mounting plate and TPS rigging along with throttle cable mod.

For 7m, there is no drop in replacement TB. Hell i don't even think 1jz./2jz has a drop in affair.

sportinct26

Jan 15, 2006
cali
figgie;1168100 said:
None.

Supra Grp A turbo Throttle body requires the intake manifold hole be enlarged. TPS is a bolt on affair.
Q45 TB requires mounting plate and TPS rigging along with throttle cable mod.
Lexus TB requires mounting plate and TPS rigging along with throttle cable mod.
Mustang TB requires mounting plate and TPS rigging along with throttle cable mod.

For 7m, there is no drop in replacement TB. Hell i don't even think 1jz./2jz has a drop in affair.

really dang good thing i research this before i baught a q45 lol.

and i though the stock tb was 2.75"?

60mm translate to 2.36"? right? or did i read something wrong its getting late :aigo: lol

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
We've made over 675whp on a stock throttle body and 2.5" IC piping, so I'd advise to spend your $$ in another area that will net you better gains. Worry about the throttle body when you go FFIM.

SupraMan1987

Mar 8, 2006
Hickory area, NC
What is the deal with the JDM TB while the subject is being discussed? I just leaned yesterday that it is a bit of an "upgrade" since it doesn't use all kinds of strange levers to get the TB to open.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
SupraMan1987;1195581 said:
What is the deal with the JDM TB while the subject is being discussed? I just leaned yesterday that it is a bit of an "upgrade" since it doesn't use all kinds of strange levers to get the TB to open.

JDM is the issue in and of itself.

Can the 1JZ crowd get a smaller throttle body? Their engine might rev up faster with more velocity.

:biglaugh:

sportinct26

Jan 15, 2006
cali
Slow66;1195413 said:
We've made over 675whp on a stock throttle body and 2.5" IC piping, so I'd advise to spend your $$ in another area that will net you better gains. Worry about the throttle body when you go FFIM.

is it 2.5" piping straight to the tb? or did you replace the "3000 pipe" with 2.75"?