LED JDM tail lights are finished! Lots of photos

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Cost: a few hundred bucks in parts, dozens and dozens of hours of research and tedious labor.

All LED's except for the reverse are 70ma superflux LED's from future electronics. All circuits are regulated at 12 volts and the marker lights are dimmed with a PWM (pulse-width modulator) circuit with an adjustment knob I installed on the back of the left tail housing.

You can see a lot through the lens so everything had to be painted either black or chrome. I will be tinting the red areas of the tails dark so the 3 clear bars stand out.

Update: Video added:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB3SA8IVnow

Can you spot the painted resistors blending in, in this photo?
Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Voltage regulators, switching circuit, and PWM installed into removable panel:
Untitled-23.jpg

The curvature of the lens made it very difficult to create PCB boards that fit nicely.
Untitled-46.jpg

Marker/tail lights on:
Untitled-27.jpg

Turn signal:
Untitled-36.jpg

Untitled-37.jpg

Reverse led's are 80ma per and have 4 chips each. Crazy bright!
Untitled-34.jpg

Untitled-28.jpg

Brakes on. Very very bright! Leaves major dots in your vision after looking directly at it.
Untitled-39.jpg

Dimmer adjustment knob for marker lights:
Untitled-24.jpg

I was able to line up the LED's so they shine through the thin lines in the reflector area, so the light does not get scattered. Is this phat or what!? :evil2:
Untitled-41.jpg

Edit: Updated with some new "ass shots" :D
PacNW2010%20100.jpg

PacNW2010%20109.jpg

Last edited:

kwnate

Lurker
Jul 10, 2005
None of your fucking business
Not really my cup of tea, but I'm very impressed with the quality of your work and how well they turned out. Usually when people get creative with the taillights the results are not very good. Nice work, now get that widebody on the road :)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I don't think anyone's going to notice if it's illegal or not. I'm curious to see if they are fairly visible in the day time. As long as they are as bright, if not brighter than stock bulbs, he shouldn't get harrassed...

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
IJ. said:
Just asking as we have some really odd laws about lighting here.

I couldn't give an honest answer on his part, but around here I wouldn't get in trouble with them if they were as bright, or brighter than the stock bulbs. I'm running LED's all the way around on my DD (headlights are the exception) and I've never had any harrasment from it...

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
pretty sweet. with actual vision (not with the camera) can you see the individual bulbs??? if so then i dont really like it too much. looks too knight rider to me HAHAHAA.

still badass work man!!

Very nice... and kudos on the work done! Very unique indeed... only supra with that kind of tail lights.... i am sure you will get a lot of requests once you post pics of it on the car during daylight and night.... hmmm i maybe interested in some to... as i have jdm tails...lol

but yes very impressive...:love: :bowdown: :boink:

and i hope.... that somone else doesnt try to cash in on your great idea!!

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
very nice. i personally like this one better then the one SF. both look good but this one is more along the lines of what i would personally do.

i also like the craftiness of puttng the PWM and adjustment knob etc on the bulb holders for easy access and removability (i dont think thats a word lol)

get them installed on the car and some pics and videos of all of it ASAP!