knock knock... no knock

kelner

May 17, 2006
GA
So I am very scared. I had a motor with rod knock, I replaced with with one pulled from another car with 78,000 miles on it. I've thrashed (I drive hard) on it for probably 20,000 or so now and I keep a very close watch on my oil levels (it's probably been about 3/4th up from the bottom of the hatch, that was after a long trip, I try to keep it above the Full line). I keep new oil in it pretty consistently (probably longest on an oil change was 5,000mi).

Now, I have had troubles with the TPS and o2 sensor constantly the past 5,000-7,500mi. TPS has to be readjusted often because it is out of spec. I can't afford a new one ($155 from napa) at the moment. I believe it to be the cause of my o2 going out (causing rich and lean conditions). I also believe the PCV system is dumping a good bit of oil into the intake (last time I had the TB off to replace spark plugs it was slathered in oil) but this is due to blow-by, so not much I can do there.

Anyways, the last 2 weeks I have been having knock on dry-starts (after the car has been sitting for eight or more hours generally). I Changed over to 0w-40 (hoping that maybe because it's cold out my 5w wasn't flowing quick enough). This hasn't solved my problem. Today when I arrived at work I poured a bit of Lucas Oil Additive (I know some of you will call it the devil and others will praise it). I know it causes oil to foam, but it also claims to leave a film on moving parts for much longer than conventional oil.

One last thing, I did the HG on my car (I did it the redneck way without decking/surfacing and hoped gasket and RTV would hold out for me [I used minimal RTV as it shouldn't be necessary]. I learn everything the hard way and I have a thick head, so you can flame if you want, but that's just how I work. I am from Georgia so... it's expected ;)) and I swapped the head over from my other motor (it didn't have valve tick, but the new motor did). So while I had it off I took off the cam caps to inspect and everything looked ok (to my surprise there are no bearings for supra cams) so I reassembled with correct torque spec. However I think something may have not been done right as I've had a metallic rubbing sound from time to time. It comes from the head and I have assumed it is the cam (and probably related to some issues I have).

So, SM, give me your opinions on the knock. What can be done short of a rebuild? I might have to pass it off as yet another learning experience. I don't know. I hate to see all my money fall into this poor car again and again (I have another project car and I didn't research very well on how picky these cars are so it didn't turn out to be a very reliable beater).

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
you dont even know its a rod knock....do you?

it COULD be something else.

i have a knock on startup and sometimes i hear roughness during running, but i dont worry about it because it only happens sometimes. other times, my revs are buttery smooth... and unless oil really can prevent the sound of rod-knock intermittantly...its probably not rod knock, and if it were there wouldnt be anything i could do about it. so i dont worry about it.

it COULD be any other moving part...i think mine could be the power steering pump or maybe even the oil pump...it knocks and then stops after a few seconds...i figure its because it has enough rpm's to eliminate the sound. i even have a suspicion its my clutch...but until the thing breaks and doesnt function as a clutch...i'm not doing anything about it.

i, for one...dont like additives because i've watched a video on what they do to oil....not good. but thats aside the point i guess.

for now, dont beat on your car. i'll be watching this since i have a knock too....might as well.

best of luck...i know i didnt help much...