Just washed engine bay 1jz...now it wont start

vg7z

Mar 21, 2007
dyess afb tx
After washing my 1jzgte and gettin it nice and pretty...I go to fire her up. It cranks, and cranks, and cranks.

OK, no spark no biggie. (Or so I thought). So I start troubleshooting. Fuel pump OK I can hear fuel through the fuel rail and theres pressure. I take the spark plug cover off and its bone dry down there. I check all fittings and electrical connection plugs and theyre all connected. 30 minutes of being frustrated and stumped go by so I turn to my last resort...online forum advice.

Any suggestions? Any help is appreciated!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Carl from Slingblade saids you're out of gas.................:biglaugh:

Have you checked any fuses, like maybe the EFI? I don't really know, but it doesn't sound like it could be air causing it. My 1jz will crank without any filter or ic pipes on at all. Good luck.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
Happens all the time, probably the CPS (lower sensor at the crank).

It will dry off just give it some time.

If it was the ALT, the car would still start, obviously.

The CPS and igniter are the most important for the car to run, so that is what you need to look at.

For reference, you can totally unplug both cam position sensors and the car will still run. The CPS though, has to be working properly for the car to run.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
i dont know if it is the CPS ? but on my car i just washed the valve cover and at first wouldnt start couple min later ran like shit took off the coil packs dried them off when checking for spark & the spark plugs ran like brand new. ignitors do not like to get wet!

vg7z

Mar 21, 2007
dyess afb tx
so it started this morning, but only on 4 cylinders. i took the coil packs off and dried em all off. it startred fine again, but shut off after 3 seconds. now itll jsut start, hit 1000rpm, and shut off.

any suggestions?

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
same thing happened to me. it took a few days for the car to run right again. it eventually got to where it would idle on it's own. i just left it for a little bit idleing, so it would get hot and help the water evaporate. i had water in the spark plug gally, which i didn't see cause of the cover.

JonnyRedline

Lickalotapus
Sep 2, 2005
Supra's Interior
i once applied a titan motorsports sticker on my ignitor and the next day it rained...the day after i took it out and the engine would die or cut out randomly...i took the sticker off and never had the problem again...im guessing it was holding moisture in there..could be the same problem but then again who knows...dry everything electrical

Mar 21, 2007
Montebello,CA!
usually after i clean my engine bay, i use a can of LECTRA CLEAN and spray it on anything electrical... it helps evaporate the moisture, i started doing this after my mr2 would go past 2500 rpm after washing it, i then took all connections and sprayed them, and plugged em in after like 20 mins, and ran perfectly fine! give it a try

t4boost

I gotta have my boost!
Mar 23, 2007
Arizona
Electrical issuse suck!!! good luck with that one, like everybody else said its polly moist in the igniter or coil connectors

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
Make sure to get some Cramolin or Electrical contact Silicone. When you are checking all the connections and drying them out apply this stuff, it should help in the fiture to keep water dirty oil and moister out of your connections

vg7z

Mar 21, 2007
dyess afb tx
Shes alive! Runs perfect now, I couldnt be happier with a CLEAN 1j and running one.

Thanks for the input guys really appreciated. Im gonna take apart every connecter and apply the contact stuff.