It's poll time!

What would you do?

• Invest most in stocks/bonds and buy a cheap Honda or something

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Buy a "new" car (NA MKIV Supra or FD RX7, just a nice looking DD)

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Completely fix the MKIII (which would be about the entire $21k)

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Just get the rust fixed and the Supra Repainted and invest the rest

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Absolutely nothing

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 10 22.7%

• Total voters

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
If you had $25,000 (well, $4k would be reserved so really it's only $21,000), and you needed a reliable car what would you do? The options are in the poll.

killarb634

Apr 1, 2005
Jersey's here
Do you have reliable income other than the 25k?
Will you need any or part of the 25k liquid?
Do you have significant savings?
Do you own a home?
Do you have a reliable car?
Do you have a lot of debt?

I'm young so i'd invest in mostly stocks if i didn't need it as of now or use it as a down payment for a house with a nice size garage...

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Invest it. I know your young and you may want a really nice car, but you'll likely thank yourself later.

Im not saying to not spend any of it though. Just remember that new cars depriciate fairly quickly.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
i voted Other,

like nate said, buy a house, if your laking the minerals save that money and shop arround your banks for a CD that automatically renews on a monthly basis, look for a 5% interest one. Then leave it be while adding to it whenever you get some extra dough like right now. Dont beyond your needs and it will add up enough to buy your house w/ everything in it.

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
killarb634 said:
Do you have reliable income other than the 25k?
Will you need any or part of the 25k liquid?
Not sure what that means, hehe

Do you have significant savings?
a couple thousand plus the $25k

Do you own a home?
nope

Do you have a reliable car?
Just the Supra. Mine is exactly 100% reliable yet though...

Do you have a lot of debt?
About the same amount in student loans. I was tempted to use this money to pay the loans off, but my commander was saying to just use part of my paycheck on the loans and use the $25k to make me more money.

I'm young so i'd invest in mostly stocks if i didn't need it as of now or use it as a down payment for a house with a nice size garage...
That's my dream... I'd LOVE an awesome garage... maybe with a house attached to it, hehe

But a house for me right now wouldn't be a good investment, I'm going into the military in December and I don't even know where I'll be headed yet, hehe, yeah I thought about it...a lot...but I talked to my commander about it and he said it was a bad idea.

But he was saying invest a good deal of it and buy a cheap car. I think I might go that route and maybe sell the Supra (mine is great and all, just a little unreliable and I won't have the time to work on it for the next year or so) and pick one up a little bit down the line if I'm itching for another one.

-------------
**bare with me if some of that doesn't make sense, it's like 5:30 in the morning... PT time!

killarb634

Apr 1, 2005
Jersey's here
Paying off alll the student loans wouldn't be smart. I will assume most of them are gov't loans which will have very low interest rates. 3-4%... You can very easily make more that 3-4% in most investments. You can also set something up where you go the the military and have the student loans being auto withdrawn from a certain account. If that account is making more than the 3-4% you're paying on your loans you are still making money and paying back the loans.

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
Jayhall said:
wheres the option to buy a tacoma thats a couple of years old?

Haha, I was thinking about buying like a late 90's pickup... I think I still might if the price is right

killarb634 said:
Paying off alll the student loans wouldn't be smart. I will assume most of them are gov't loans which will have very low interest rates. 3-4%... You can very easily make more that 3-4% in most investments. You can also set something up where you go the the military and have the student loans being auto withdrawn from a certain account. If that account is making more than the 3-4% you're paying on your loans you are still making money and paying back the loans.

Yeah, we have a guy that helps military personnel out with their finances coming in a couple of weeks to answer any questions we might have, so I'm gonna pick his brain about something like this.

Mk3Jesse

Fire is my friend.
Oct 22, 2006
Augusta, GA
www.myspace.com
If i 25k just laying around i would probably go buy a Fixed Roof Coupe Vette Probably a 99. Thats just me :D you can find one for around 18k and thats money in the bank for tools and other misc stuff.

thesandymancan

a.k.a: mittens
Mar 7, 2006
boise, idaho
i personally would do a combo. buy a nice fd for around $13k and do the precautionary mods that they need. (find one with 100k miles plus, it should be on it's second motor by then.) and then invest the rest.

or... just invest it all.