Is there a difference in doors

too_stand

Supramania Contributor
Jul 27, 2005
Campton Kentucky
Does anyone know for an absolute fact if there is a difference in the doors on a mk3 hardtop/sunroof car and the doors on an mk3 targa car...thank you

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Yes, for a fact, there is a difference. The Targa doors have a little piece that locks into the body, theoretically to stiffen the chassis that's weaker from the Targa.

Is it worth worrying about? I don't think so.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
another less noted difference is 86-88 doors have locks that you have to hold the handle up, then close, for it to lock..

89+'s dont have that..

i have an 88 door on an 89 body, so i know 1st hand..

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
RazoE said:
another less noted difference is 86-88 doors have locks that you have to hold the handle up, then close, for it to lock..

89+'s dont have that..

Hah! That explains why I could never get my 87 to stay locked.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
RazoE said:

89+'s dont have that..

Interesting.... neither of my doors does that. Nor did the one I replaced, all were pre89. Why don't mine do it?!

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
RazoE said:

89+'s dont have that..

No. 86-87 doors do that. 88+ doors don't. If you had an 88 door on your car, it'd be the same as your 89. You've got to have an earlier door.

This is true for all Toyotas. They switched all their cars in 1988.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
oh, my mistake then..

must be off an 86/87, it has all the interior fabric, door switches, mirror, and speaker covers from a pre 89...

the more i think about why the previous owner replaced it, the more worried i get...

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
On my 1987 I believe I had to use the driver's side switch to lock it, and then hold the handle while closing the door in order to activate the alarm. If I just locked it with the key after shutting the door the alarm wouldn't come on. I'm not sure how the alarm works on newer ones (but I'm guessing I'm going to find out soon ;))

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
GrimJack said:
Yes, for a fact, there is a difference. The Targa doors have a little piece that locks into the body, theoretically to stiffen the chassis that's weaker from the Targa. Is it worth worrying about? I don't think so.

I hope it's not worth worrying about, I just picked up a set of hardtop doors for my targa car!! Where is this tab located?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
If it's what I'm thinking of, they're a bolt on affair... at least I should say that all I needed to do to put a targa door on my hardtop was take off two screws and a bracket. I don't know if the original hardtop door had mounts welded in so it could accept the brackets.