Is my TPS going bad?

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
When i drive around a while, then stop, when i start going again sometimes it starts bogging, but i dont have a check engine light,

today, i went for a drive, parked, washed my car, and then when i was gonna drive my car again it started boggin real bad, so i jumped Te1 and E1 and i got code 41, so i unplugged the efi fuse, and cleared the code, then it started right up and ran perfect,

whats going on? i feel as if the TPS starts acting up when it gets hot, is this some sort sign that the TPS is going bad?

any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
so i checked the sensor and it was good, i did find a bunch of dead baby spiders INSIDE the sensor which appear to have been interferring w/ the sensors ability to return to the fully closed position

I replaced TPS sensor just to be safe

adjusted w/ as close as posibble to the .7mm, it was like .69xx

car runs fine until it gets warm, then starts boggin, needle doesnt get past half way

check enging light does not turn on but if i run diagnostics i get a code 41

any ideas?????

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
Code 41 is caused by an open or short in the VTA signal...it can also be caused by VTA exceeding 1.5V while IDL remains closed, but the first case sounds most likely to me (the car bogs but it still revs to any RPM, right?)

You need to determine if it is the wiring or the TPS that is at fault...are you able to get the correct VTA-E2 and VC-E2 measurements while setting the TPS off the car?

Edit: Just saw that you said you replaced the TPS. Assuming you got a brand new one, that pretty much points to the wiring...

Last edited:

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
replaced TPS w/ one off ebay, was in really good condition, and passed the ohm tests

i will double check the wiring and test the ecu per the tsrm this weekend,

my only other idea is that it was not calibrated correctly b/c i didnt have the correct .7mm shim and had to use a combination of shims that got as close as possible, could that be causing my problem