Is it possible to replace clutch on the ground?

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
80 miles away from Kremlin
Hi guys!
My clutch just died... I can't shift gears anymore while engine running... I haven't good shop near my location, so my options are - replace clutch myself or tow the car to redneck shop that used to rapair Lada only ;-)

So, is it possible to replace clutch if I rise car using jack stands?

kawkoretsx

flatuator
Jun 26, 2007
hagerstown, MD
Me too, a friend is almost required. Read the TSRM before you start, if I remember correctly, the pressure plate comes off with the tranny (after you unbolt it of course).

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
A friend is definitly suggested. I did it alone though. My friends were working.

PS- make sure to remove the clutch fork through the inspection hole before attempting to pull the tranny back.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
It's really not too bad if you have someone to hold/turn stuff for you.

Make sure you raise the car up as high as you possibly can (safely of course) before you start.

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
if only the clutch is bad then you should be able to shift gears but when you let the clutch out the car doesn't move or the clutch will slip a lot.

Can you explain better?

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
get a friend for sure and some kinda of roller to move the transmission around.

Remove the e-clip on the shift fork through the viewing panels before trying to remove the transmission. When putting it back it put the pressure plate and clutch on the transmission spline and then slide that into the engine.

It was fairly time consuming to do with the engine out of the car so I can only imagine how long it would take with it in.

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
Thanks for anwers! SM rocks!!
Yes, I'll read all possible documentation, jack car as hight as it possible and do all job with help of my friend =)

rumptis
Ok, here's my story: my realise (sp?) bearing was noisy (when I pressed pedal - sound went away), but I haven't replace it cause was going to upgrade clutch... So today I was driving and when decided to shift - pedal went to the floor and stayed there... So I towed car back to garage, raised it and inspected quickly... clutch fork moves all way without any resistance by hand! Cylinders work fine... So it's definately PP and/or release bearing problem...
I've upgraded turbo recently and my stock clutch began to slip, so I was going to upgrade clutch anyway, but I was hoping to drive a little more... and now I have to wait two + weeks till new clutch (from Driftmotion) arrives... =((

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
The clutch swap isn't that hard other than getting the transmission back up to the motor from off the ground. It doesn't sound like you've had much experience with working on your clutch swap, but hopefully you have a friend that knows a little sumtin sumtin about changing it out. I dont' know how the TSRM recommends doing it, but you should give it a look. Good luck and I think you'll do alright. Some of us are always here to answer your questions if you have a problem doing it.

It's too bad you're not closer to Louisville because I know Rumptis and MKIIsupraman would have it swapped in about an hour and a half.......tops!

I'm glad to see that they have rednecks in Moscow also.............:biglaugh:

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
I have only done 1 r154 while in the car without pulling the engine and trans together and I will never do that again. It was a really tight fit and we had to turn the tranny sideways to get it back in there...what a pain in the butt. I really think its easier if you have all the right tools and help to just pull the engine and trans together.

alot of people think otherwise so it must just be me.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Are Ladas still being made over there? LOL

I found it easiest to prop up the front of the motor just a bit to make it easier to re-install the transmission.

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
rumptis
Unfortunatelly I haven't tools and space to remove whole engine-tranny assembly =( So I'm going to have some sex under Supra ;-)

mkIIIman089,suprahero
We have a lot of rednecks and Ladas here... Need one? ;-)
As for rising front of motor, I knew this trick when I was replacing clutch on my old Audi 5K TQ, but thank you for advice anyway.

Silvermk2

MkII Weenie
Apr 4, 2005
Stockton, CA
Make sure you buy lots of extensions and flex joints it will make the work much easier. The best way is to remove all the lower tranmission bolts you can get at easier then drop the back of the trans down and use about 4 ft of extensions to get the top bolts. Getting it in and out is really a 2 person job. One person to pump the floor jack and the other to manuever it in.

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
have fun, i just got my tranny out tonight! its not easy, just read the tsrm first. there are some real fun bolts on the starter! the engineers must have had a beef with the toyota mechanics, cause there is no way that an engineer would design some of those bolts for no reason! the bolt on the top of the tranny is a pita, as well as the starter bolts. again, have fun, its possible. just get a friend

Silvermk2

MkII Weenie
Apr 4, 2005
Stockton, CA
If you let the tranny drop down with out the mount the top 2 bolts and top starter bolt are a cinch. You just need about 3 ft worth of extension.