Is a 1JZ swap from a GE worth all the work and money?

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
I was talking to my friend about this, he said some guy here in houston will do it ALL, parts and labor for $4500. I dont know how much some of you have done it for but since im doing a rebuild I was thinking about it. I heard the 1JZ is MUCH more reliable than the 7Ms. If this is true since it will be my DD, Im thinking this would be better. I heard all these wires and shit have to be spliced along with power steering pump blah blah blah....

Is it worth it? For reliability.

( I did search, I am reading...)

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
For reliability I would think you could build a 7M to be just as reliable, if not more so, for the same amount of money. You just have to do it right and not cut corners on important things (like the head gasket...)

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
7mge car is very good for a 1j swap.if i had a 7mgte that wasn't neglected,i would build off that.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
Titan Motorsports 1.5mm MHG, ARP Studs going to 85lbs, new fuel pump, everything IN the block replaced except the crank (unless somethings broken on it)

Im changing almost everything in it, Im just scared bc I keep reading people go through this, and a week later, BHG or worse, more rod knock.

Im reading all the shit on the 1jz swaps, TONS of work, and I was unaware it was JDM only. Still not turned off by it but damn, I want my supra back sooner than this would be haha.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
CryoSlash said:
dotn try to think the 1jz is a band aid...
-Thomas

good point, I just heard it didnt have as many problems associated with it as the 7Ms do, BHGs being the main concern, rod knock in at second.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
phoenix6 said:
good point, I just heard it didnt have as many problems associated with it as the 7Ms do, BHGs being the main concern, rod knock in at second.
And 2 main concerns solved by ery easy solutions! Metal head gasket with a resurfaced block and head and keep oil in there!

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
being done, being done and check.

Are people really forgetting some of these on a full rebuild? Or is this plastigauge crap I read about just that, crap?

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
Really? I was seeing all these things about extending the wire harness, changing some plugs, rerouting the power steering and AC? I mean damn lol... How much can I get a front clip for anyways?

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
NA to 1j adds a little more work.

But $4500 parts and labor for 1j swap? That is either a good deal, shotty work, or they are using the original w58.

Having someone else do the 1j swap, start to finish, and you pick up the keys, you have to figure $6000.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
CryoSlash said:
And 2 main concerns solved by ery easy solutions! Metal head gasket with a resurfaced block and head and keep oil in there!

Supracentral's knowledge:

Head gasket info: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=216396&postcount=5

Rod knock: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20486

The main thing to prevent rod knock, it seems, is to make sure there is no coolant/water in the block when fixing a BHG. Other than that, yes, keep oil in there.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
dot you guys have emissions in houston? if so it will be an issue to get it registered smogged and insured correctly (if you tell them the truth that is....)