interchangeability of the 2JZ-GTE in other Toyota's

JoeyD

Feb 5, 2007
Oceanside, CA
Well my first thing is that i'd at some point like to swap the 7M-GE engine in my current Supra with a 2JZ-GTE (I have an 89 MarkIII NA)... are there complications in doing so?

Also, is it possible to put a 2JZ-GTE into an AE86? what about an 83-85 Celica GT-S ?

thanks for any responses!

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Wiring is a bitch, you need a 1JZ bellhousing and flywheel for a R154. If you have an NA you have a W58, which doesn't work if I remember right. Or some mad hammer skills to fit the 6spd transmission. You can put a 2JZ in anything, and it's probably already been done. lol

JoeC

Banned
Jul 10, 2006
Vancouver, Washington
search. Here's a post I posted earlier in the week.

I'll list the differences between the two swaps (1jz and 2jz) unless you are dead set on 2jzgte vvti.

1jzgte:

You can put a 1jz in your car for about $500-$1000 cheaper than you can a 2jzgte. It is also a little *tiny bit* more straight forward with wiring.

For a 1jzgte swap you will need these parts:

1jzgte clip from either Driftmotion, JARCO inc, Jhot imports (those are some good ones. Aaron from Driftmotion is a member on these boards)

1jzgte motor mounts - from your clip
1jzgte ecu (A/T or M/T) - from clip
1jzgte wiring harness - from clip
1jzgte TACH - from clip
custom oil sender unit from a vendor on the site here.
1jzgte bellhousing from M/T if you have a 5spd in your car
1jzgte flywheel
7mgte clutch/pressure plate
Either the hydro fan setup or electric fans.

When going 2jzgte, it will cost you a little bit more, it's a 3 litre engine compared to the 1jz's 2.5 litre. And most of the parts are the same that you will need.

You can either buy a usdm motor (costs more generally, but uses 550 injectors and steel turbos rather than the JDM's 440's and ceramic) Or you can buy a clip and sell what you don't need, but you will still have to pick up some parts.

1jzgte bellhousing (if your M/T)
1jzgte ecu/wiring harness
1jzgte motor mounts
1jzgte tach
1jzgte flywheel
7mgte pressure plate/clutch

On both motors, I BELIEVE* you will have to rewire the body plug or make a adapter harness to connect from the body to the ECU. You will also have to do something with the oil sender so your oil gauge works. EDIT: Also, you will need to do some things to get your A/C to work. Search button is your friend on this =D

If you have an Auto, I don't know.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
A 2JZGTE with stock twins will work with a W58 (NA 5 speed trans). If you are easy on it, it will last.

I have a 2JZGTE for sale, give me a call if you are ready to swap now.