Im intreasted in a supra but in need of your help!

rs4_supra

Sep 4, 2006
Wa
So i just got done looking at a white 89 supra turbo and it ran fine didnt make any funny noises has 138 thousand miles on it. The paint had some bubbles next to the rear wheels im not sure if thats a big deal anyway my real question is...... i push it to 4-5 thousand rpm and then went into a parking lot to switch drivers and noticed that one of the hoses next to the turbo had leaked oil onto the turbo resulting to smoke my question is how bad is that and is it somthing i should consider when buying this car or is it just the hose just needs to be replaced? help! Oh and another thing the car when geting into the 4-5 thousand range sounded like the exaust was making like a funny noise i can really explain it almost a tangy metal clacking toghether only in that rpm range and then i got out looked at the exaust and one of the pipes was rusted looked under the car and there was no rust along with body panels etc just the pipe could that be the noise?:1zhelp: in other words he wants 4000thousand is it a good deal? over all theres some minor problems but nothing really bad the tilt on the drivers seat doesnt work thats is about it!

Last edited:

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
IMO $4000 sounds steep. Have a mechanic friend check it out or something. Im not sure about that oil leak, but an oil leak is something to consider no matter WHERE it comes from.

I think $3000 sounds bette, $2500 sounds the best. Im not a turbo guy here, N/A, but thats my opinion

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
one of the hoses leaking oil- that sounds like the pcv hose. if so, it might have some blowby issues. i would do a leakdown and compression test before buying.

the noise you describe could be anything from exhaust rattle to loose manifold bolts.

rs4_supra

Sep 4, 2006
Wa
Ya im pretty sure its not a knock i know what they sound like regaurdless im getting it checked out its at a dealership theres another one ive had my mind on its a red 89 turbo with 180 thousand and they want 4000 but its one owner no problems and most likely never been driven hard because hes 52 and he has all the paper sense 89 like services etc and its perfect condition nothing wrong everything works just it has 180 thousand miles anyways let me know if that one sounds better!

_cory

bonus12

Backroads Driver
Jul 15, 2006
CA
neither sound that great to me. unless you are in some kind of hurry, be patient and keep searching. i assume your'e using craigslist, but if u haven't, make sure you hit that up. you can get a better supra then these for $4k.