I'm back, but only b/c I fear for my s00ps saftey =(

xturboexpress

Not new.
Mar 29, 2006
Dallas, TX
So, I don't know if anyone remembers, but I sold my mkIII to a friend of mine a few years back. Well, I was checking up on it today and basicly here's how it goes:

He's got some beef-ed up CT26, I don't know what or how. Its not particularly nice, looks stock, but he had 3+ rebuilds blow seals under warranty, so the last one they said "no more, but you shouldn't have problems with this one." He's also go a Lexus AFM, Venom 550 injectors, and he was putting in a SAFCII as I type. It has all the other goodies from when I had it, hardpipes, BIC DP, 3" exhaust, filter, MHG, ARP's, HKS EVC, etc, but I had no fuel mods.

Heres the problem.

LexAFM, venom 550s, SAFCII, but NO FPR, and a stock pump!?

Funny thing is, I took it from him a while back and had it dynoed. At the time I thought it had a pump but no FPR, (actually had neither) but anyways at 15psi it ran something like 299hp/333tq but the catch is it was at points even lower than 9:1 AF. I wouldn't think those numbers or that rich of a run would not be possible without supporting fuel mods for the injectors...

So anyway, at what point is a FPR and pump required? Why is his setup not lean? And is a FPR basicaly just needed once you get the pump?

Any help would be appreciated before we start pusing buttons on the AFC =)

Last edited:

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
I found this image on the Venom website, it illustrates just exacly how Venom makes 550cc injectors... ITS CRAZY!!!
40agmjl.gif

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Seriously, have him pull the injectors, and get them flow tested...

Secondly, tell him to get a walbro fuel pump, jesus, they're like what, a hundred bucks shipped all day on ebay? And then, invest in a good fpr...

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
Yellow 13 said:
Thats just a front. Heres a pic I snapped while undercover at Venoms Factory:

child labor and inferior injectors...for shame...for shame....

on a side notei ran the 550 and lex setup (lucas inj) w/o issue up to 20 psi on my sp61gt w/o issue and i was still pig rich! no other fuel adjustments.

i think people are overreacting on the need for a pump (even though they are old) and afpr. i was pig rich both times i went to the dyno (sub 11:1 under wot) id say over 300rwhp or so is ok before things are really needed.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
As soon as possible... Anytime you start upgrading your fuel system, you should upgrade your fpr... The stock one isnt adjustible and its set up for your stock fuel system... When you add larger injectors, and start running more boost, you need to regulate the fuel pressure in the system to accomodate the increased amount of fuel and of course, increased air flow... Its all part of the tuning cycle... There is only so much the "electronics" can do... When I was tuning my car, we got to a certain point, the safc and vpc had done all they could, but by adjusting the fuel pressure, I was able to affect my fuel curve and make more power...

So, my advice would be to get one as soon as you can, get a gauge that reads the fuel pressure accurately and use it as a tool to tune your beast...

Hope these are good details... :D Im sure others will chime in...