IC question

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
Not to mention, an intercooler alone can actually cause a decrease if your not flowing a lot of air, I've also heard a large intercooler with a small turbo can increase your turbo lag, and like stratoayu said you really need the demensions, pics are misleading, like if a girl looks hot in a pic and ya meet her and shes a lot fatter and uglier or her tits are small, its just like that with car parts in a lot of cases. I'd say if you are running higher than 15 psi and have an aftermarket turbo you need an aftermarket FMIC for sure but ya need a good one, the stock CT26 and even upgraded CT26 turbos from what I understand only flow up to 18PSI then they become inefficient, I don't know how it works for the stock Intercooler, but I know for over 15 or 16 PSI it hurts more than it helps.

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
the thing with an ic like that is that you will have to add another 2-3ft onto your hotpipe to make it to the inlet on the ic. so not only do you have the extera volume of the ic but also more volume in your pipes. this will contribute to lag, as in a noticable amount. however yes, you might get lower pressure drops through this ic than the stocker, and probly will cool better. looks like its an extruded tube core. up to you, personally i'm gonna stick with the stock style ic, get one of the ones BigAaron sells for $200.

stratoayu

May 13, 2005
surrey
yea.. personally a spearco style is much better for a stock intake. if your going with a ffi, then yes that kind would suit your needs a lot better. but your going to just add a lot more piping to the already long maze going with one like that.

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
DaemoN said:
19x9x3 core and it has 2.5 inch ends.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/oldsmoble442/Picture273.jpg

That's it's dimensions. But just how efficient is the stock intercooler? I can't imagine it does a very good job. It might lag a bit but it'll still create more cfm and lower temps.
i have read on these forums that the stock IC is good enough for around 350 hp... but most dont even try to push it, they just upgrade when they upgrade their turbo.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
SupraDreamPDR said:
i have read on these forums that the stock IC is good enough for around 350 hp... but most dont even try to push it, they just upgrade when they upgrade their turbo.

I'm not sure of the exact number, but yours is a little low. Several people run 450+ hp on a stock I/C...