I wanna take the plunge: 1jz clip for 89, what do you think

suprarell

Aug 28, 2008
HOUSTON, TX
Ok, I am very new to the form. I have owned my 89 supra (non turbo, 5 speed) for about a year, third owner 200k miles, well cared for then the inevitable: BHG. Rather than risk major repair cost, I figured I would swap for the same JDM motor. BUT thanks for all of you and your info, I was informed to the world of possibilities= 1jz. So it seem that most agree a clip is the way to go and that the pickings are getting slim. I have found one but really dont know how to judge its value or condition. Help!!

Let it be known that my desires for this motor is to be STOCK with future possibilities, reliable, have decent gas mileage (when not pedal to the metal), longevity and respectable when pushed.

I have never been in a turbo supra, old or new. However, youtube has some good videos. Any info, tips, warnings etc would be appreciated. Not looking to drift or race. Just to be dependable and hold my own on the occasional temptation by a small block. (very very rare)

Help me out. Thanks in advance and I look forward to your comments.

Oh, the clip's asking price is 2900 plus 500 shipping.

Terrell:1zhelp:

Attachments

• IMG_0808.jpg
    IMG_0808.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0817.jpg
    IMG_0817.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1097.jpg
    IMG_1097.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1099.jpg
    IMG_1099.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1102.jpg
    IMG_1102.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 38
Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
the 1JZ is an excellent engine, and your supra would be a blast to drive especially compared to the 7mge.

but you may be in for a lot of work just to have a turbo if needed...

a clip is a great place to start, but there will still be a lot of other items to deal with such as the harness, r154 driveshaft, and a bunch of little stuff (throttle cable, oil pressure sender, etc)

but if your up for the challenge and know what your doing, then I say go for it!! there is plenty of help and information on here to get you going.

kanji1jz

kanji
Jan 16, 2008
tampa fl
harness??? that's easy! you just cut a wire at a time and solder it together with a long ass wire and cover it back up. that's easy. look the thing that you need to look into is mileage on the engine, does it run currently and they are willing to start it to do a compression test and video tape it and email it to you. if they can hook up some gas to it that would be better so that you can see it run. also, you need to ask them how long it has been sittin if they would know that infomation. anyother questions hit me up. oh and if you aren't going to be using that right hand power steering rack let me know cuz i'm in need!!!

agentAndy

xatracing.com
Oct 27, 2005
Sarasota
kanji1jz;1118429 said:
harness??? that's easy! you just cut a wire at a time and solder it together with a long ass wire and cover it back up. that's easy.

lol you wish the harness was that easy.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
A known good 7M motor swap would be much cheaper, and a lot easier. That would take away a little of the reliability, but it sounds like you would be OK with it.

My question is, what would it take to use that stereo set up in an American car?

xXslayrXx

Performance > Looks
Mar 25, 2008
Nawlins
driftmotion does full clips for $2800 plus shipping. from what i understand they are very reputable. a good friend of mine has done several 1J swaps, all of which were motors from driftmotion. the 1J is a great motor and would provide more reliablity than another 7M. I'm looking to have my 1J swap done before Christmas. Good luck! Hope this helps!

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Drill hole in firewall right beside speedo cable hole = done.

expect to spend at least another $500-700 to do it (correctly). clutch, fluids, hoses, belts, ect.... That said, I enjoy my car x10's what I did with a 7M-GTE. Hell, I haven't looked at my coolant gauge since I swapped :biglaugh:

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
rakkasan;1119033 said:
Drill hole in firewall right beside speedo cable hole = done.

expect to spend at least another $500-700 to do it (correctly). clutch, fluids, hoses, belts, ect.... That said, I enjoy my car x10's what I did with a 7M-GTE. Hell, I haven't looked at my coolant gauge since I swapped :biglaugh:

Agreed!

And drilling a hole in the firewall I cant see doing the swap any other way... Why risk hacking the hole harness up when you only need to extend the body connectors and call it done... thats how my swap went...

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
as long as it comes with all the electronics you need ;p which it looks like it does. it looks like a good front clip. at this point id only work on a front clip ive dealt with too many crappy single engine 1JZ's missing a bunch of stuff

IIRC you can use the headunit but they use different radio frequencies in japan

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
Zerocool;1119128 said:
Agreed!

And drilling a hole in the firewall I cant see doing the swap any other way... Why risk hacking the hole harness up when you only need to extend the body connectors and call it done... thats how my swap went...

+1 its become the standard AFAIK on most cars.

tlo86;1122466 said:
as long as it comes with all the electronics you need ;p which it looks like it does. it looks like a good front clip. at this point id only work on a front clip ive dealt with too many crappy single engine 1JZ's missing a bunch of stuff

IIRC you can use the headunit but they use different radio frequencies in japan

Thats correct, my friend swapped out his stock H/U on his R34 for that reason.