I wanna get an LCD monitor, mines messed up

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
So Im still using CRT, I never paid or wanted to for a new monitor, this one was fine. But now, one of the backlights is out, I have to turn it on and off 20 to 30 times before its bright. Right now, its been an Hour, Ive been leaving it on lately, so I dont have to go through this, but my fuckn brother turned it off now it wont go bright anymore. Im buying an LCD, Im tired of this fuckin shit, Ive got about $150 I wanna spend and I want close to 19", is that impossible still or is it easier now? I looked at Pricewatch but I want it asap, anyone know any deals? Im in Houston.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
my 17" LCD cost me 300

It now goes on ebay for about 150-180 (with shipping)

Samsung SyncMaster 730B

I am absolutely satisfied with this monitor, if you do any gaming this is awesome!

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
if you end up getting LCD i recommend atleast <8 ms Response time and atleast 1280x1024 resolution supported.

Edit - Make sure whatever you get isnt known to come with dead pixels. Or has a good dead pixel warranty

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
$150 will get you an 18", and but if you play games, dont get an LCD. if not, then $150 will get you a decent LCD.

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Yeah, 150 will get you a Dell, but thats about it. And Samsung SyncMasters are FTW, I bought one to put in my parents office, so crisp and clear, and it either has a 2 or 4 ms response time, can't remember which. Anyway, I bought an 18" Sony Premier flat panel back lke 3-4 years ago, cost like 700 bucks. And it sucks. Terribly. I sent the first one back for a ribbon of dim pixels along the bottom, got a new one, and its doing the exact same thing in the same place. Pisses me off.

And if you're doing a lot of gaming, unless you have a good 700 to spend on a super good monitor, CRT will get you better clarity and quality. For me I'd rather have the desk space tho...

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
I'm a big fan of NEC's current GX2 lineup. I have the 70GX2 and have used the 90GX2 as well. They are fast, have a great picture, zero dead pixels on any I've seen, look great as well as having 4 USB 2.0 ports built in. Great monitors. I game on it all the time.

:)

Look at the market though, read some reviews, decide what you want to spend and go from there IMO.

I'm redoing my room right now and am going to pick up a 25-30'ish" HD TV as well, I'll probably have my computer attached to it as well, but I'll still be using my GX2 for normal usage.

Another side note: I find 19" LCD's useless. They have the same resolution as 17" LCD's, so I see no point in going with them, unless you need larger text or something.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I win :biglaugh: Unless Allan posts his 42" or whatever it is.

p367761_1.jpg