I need the truth about painting saw blades

rs4_supra

Sep 4, 2006
Wa
so I have dicided im to cheap to buy new rims and rather paint my sawblades so I have done my research and looked threw these forums etc etc and ive gotten nothing but a head ache....... First its dont sand blast them because they make pits in the alluminum, then its sand with 800 grit sand paper and then do this and that can somewon that has acually done them point me into the right direction or send me a link to a write up thanks alot!

ps. I would like them to turn out nice :]

_cory

rs4_supra

Sep 4, 2006
Wa
one other thing can you use a sand blaster because i got one and that would save much needed time!

_cory

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
All I did was sand mine down lightly (can't remember the grit, it was pretty light though) and then cleaned them and painted them, then clear coated them. I think they turned out good, not the best but still good looking.

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
i used that dupli color "wheel paint" when i did a buddys for him (stock silver) they came out nice i used a power washer followed by 320 grit paper the paint Dupli color says this paint is stronger than other paint and resist chips.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Here's how I did mine
1 I Remove all oils and road crap at the drive thru car wash.
2 I Remove all the coating using Paint Stripper, then rinse that crap off.
3 Using a hose with what ever grain wetndry paper, lightly rough up the surfaces you intend to paint.
5 Prior to painting make sure the wheels are WARM, this will ensure a good strong bond.
6 I used Rustoleum Hammered Black so I would have a textured surface to hide any defects.
7 My paint took appox 2 weeks to fully cure to a baked enamel like hard finish and so far almost no chips and the still look great to ME. I scrub the heck out them and it has no effect on the paint.

Make sure the tire shop that re-install's the tires back on does so by hand unless they have been off long enough for the paint to completly harden.

Last edited:

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
yeah dylan didnt like the duplicolor stuff but i love it! it has worked out real well for me. altho the satin black isnt real forgiving. to get a uniform finish i had to sand and paint and sand and paint. otherwise, i got some spot that were a little more glossy than others.

also, that aircraft remover works awesome at removing paint. you def dont want to try and paint over clear coat. you spray this stuff on, let it sit for about 15-20min. then take a plastic scraper and the paint comes off like butter. then just rinse it off.

pics are kinda big-

http://www.mk3.us/dave/supra06/misc/rim2.JPG

http://www.mk3.us/dave/supra06/misc/rim3.JPG

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
my friend painted his track rims striaght up with no prep. It looks fine from far away but you can tell that he did not prep it if you get closer.

if you don't care, just paint them. If you want it to look good, do all the sanding.

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
bowsercake said:
my friend painted his track rims striaght up with no prep. It looks fine from far away but you can tell that he did not prep it if you get closer.

if you don't care, just paint them. If you want it to look good, do all the sanding.
I just washed them really good then lightly sanded them. Then used Duplicolor gunmetal rim paint. They turned out great! Another tip to save money if you dont have the resources. Take notecards and shove them in between the wheel and tire making sure to overlap each one that way you dont have to take the tire off. It may sound "ghetto" but mine turned out just as good as if I had taken the tires off.

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
Funny that you mention the notecard thing, that's exactly what my friend did when he painted his two sets of rims. It worked fine for him as well.