I hate AN fittings...

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
so today i noticed my Aeromotive FPR was leaking, first it was comming from one side..so i added some thread sealant and tighten it..then i had a leak at the other side...this was comming from inside through the hose part, so i took it off and tried fixing it...nope couldnt do it, re-cut it tried it...just kept getting worse. WTF am i doing wrong? as a temporary solution i had to use a rubber/fuel line hose and clamp it down. I was gettin pretty upset.

i'll probably just try to use AN fittings with "nipple" ends and try using a fuel line.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
i also hate an fittings.....always feel like im over tighting and it still leaks or undertightening and its fine?! wtf. -3 lines especially are the bane of my existance.

I

itr206

The male part is probably not seating in there tight enuff. Try holding more pressure on each end while tightening them.
Push the braided part as far in that female fitting as possible.
Putting thread sealer around the line wont really help since the male end slips into the line itself.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
well i tried for 2 hours to get the bitches in, everytime i could get a thread on and start tighting...the male pushes the hose itself out....

7MsAreForKids

7M FTMFPOSL
Aug 27, 2006
ITS ALL DISTURBANCE
Heres a tip man..

Dont use EARL fittings.. Aeroquip only, anything else is uncivilized.

Another tip.. Tape the end of the hose with duct tape, push the end on gently so the ends of the braides are against the chamfered surface of the hose end. Now push the end up against a wall or your workbench, gently pull out the tape. Now push like hell while turning the fitting clockwise.. (Keep pressure on it and keep it against the wall or surface). Now you can insert the -AN end and tighten it down until you can just barely put your fingernail in between the collar and the fitting.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Pick up a set of AN wrenches while you're shopping at summit.
You butchered up those last fittings pretty well... lol

Aeroquip I've heard is the best. No real world experience from me yet though..

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
one moro time (vote) Aeroquip!

Make sure you do not over tighten them. over tightening causes the 37* bevel to desort and therefor leak.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
empera said:
well then lagged ur just going to come help me with this...hehe...

I have never had any of my fittings leak.

What I can think of is that the part that the line may be kinked or not fully in the A&N portion.

What I do is put the fitting in the vice
I use black tape on both fitting and vice (vice preferably with flat surfaces) You point the fitting upwards about a 45 (in vice) so when the fitting you tighten is easy to get at. I hold on to the hose portion and make sure it is at the top of the threads and then you thread the "threaded" portion (which would be a 90 for ex) in. Once it gets tight still keep your pressure on it and then use a wrench. I do not use the A&N wrenches for this since they slip. Yes they will and trust me as I have probably 50 plus fittings on my car. I tape up a cresent wrench for mine and that also works great. Hope that makes sense. I have many fittings on mine and has worked out great for me. What do you use for cutting the lines?

Aeroquip has nothing to do with the leaks IMO. I have used them and are great. I think Aeroquip and XRP and the best. Many fittings are available such as Russell, Earl's but all work fine. Just depends on how it is put together. Sometimes the fitting s may have a small scratch in it and that could cause a leak. By the looks of the pic of where you say it is leaking, I think it is the way the hose is put on.

PS: Note: Wear gloves LOL for the new comers to this kind of modding LOL

HTH
Duane

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I was looking at fittings, and it sucks that Earls is the only manufacturer of the black anodized ones...
I may take my chances with them though....

NJsupraA70

Ex-Supra Owner
Sep 18, 2005
NJ
empera said:
so today i noticed my Aeromotive FPR was leaking, first it was comming from one side..so i added some thread sealant and tighten it..

Never use teflon or thread sealant on the flare side of fitting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Flare is flare for a reason, it is self sealing!! Otherwise it will leak.