How strong is the r154?

trufanatic

THE FLYING TACO!
Apr 9, 2006
WPB FL
Im going to take the advice of many on this forum and do a manual swap for the power i want to lay down in the future. What kind of power can this tranny hold in stock form with a proper clutch and good performing fluid?

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
well more then you will push in less you are maken a 600 plus roller and runing slicks

the tranny is tough bitch

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Yeah, rebuild it, get with MDC on a rebuilt kit, he's got some serious parts for the tranny... And get a good clutch... Should hold it...

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Thanks Jake. Yes I sell a rebuild kit for the trans.

The only weak link is the front thrust washer. Many people have had great success having a new stock toyota washer being cryo treated and holding lots of hp.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Any trans no matter how bad ass can be ruined. Ive been in the trans shop picking up parts and have seen the almight T56 torn down and f-ed up. And others for sale that needed rebuilt.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
oneandgone said:
Ya, they're real strong. I only destroyed 2 in about 5k miles with 427 whp.

hummmm thats pretty un lucky

but i still say that is a bomb proff tranny cetp the thrust washer but replace mine wiht some thing better

these can't be all new tranny most likly used and abused ones

when ever i am looking for tranny i all way cheak the oil and take small look in said you can tell fi trann has bean not mantained

like shit load of play on the imput shaft is one bad thing

and runing no sprung hubed clutch will killt eh tranny in no time

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
supra90turbo said:
Rock Crusher FTW.
I'll be runnin a 4spd Muncie when my car's all said and done.

crazy man you are with little bit old school v8

i wana run 6speed out of a mk4 but i gots to get gears for it

i gonna do this one day

bitsnake

May 10, 2005
Dresden, Germany
the r154 tranny is a quiet strong transmission. tight clearances are essential on a rebuild and you should change some parts. First the unbelievable thrust-washer, several ways to solve this. cryo, self-lubricating-coatings or make it from a new material. I used teflon coated stock washers with success and made some from a special strong brass. They´ll wear a bit faster as the surface hardness is not as high but will not break under load. also the center bearing retainer wears out and produces even more play on the shafts. stock retainer is a bit weak. And that s already related back to the thrust washer Marlin Crawler makes a nice CNC'ed part for the 4x4 R150/R151 trans that fit the R154 also.

the other failures are more from abuse (broken shift forks and so on). Of course good gear oil helps but in general the R154 is a very strong trans if properly rebuild. a 15-20 year old already weared trans won´t stand 400-500 hp as long

John

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I'm with bitsnake on this one. The 154 is a good trans, and can hold the power, but the DRIVER has more to do with long life than the transmission. (All things being equal.)
Correct rebuild and some coatings, or custom parts or some from Marlincrawler are not a bad idea. My 154 was rebuilt, and I just deburred and coated a stock new first gear thrust washer, so far, no problems.
Replaced the worn shift forks, and coated the wear surfaces etc. Also pressed the tailhousing bushing out and coated it with moly. (I did not like the tolerance there, and the coatings brought everything into the "tight" range, almost too tight according to the guy who did the work.)

I also agree with the clutch note. If you run a unsprung clutch, your going to F'up your transmisison in short order. If you powershift all the time, your going to break transmissions too.

Rebuild your trans right, and run a quality synthetic gear oil in there, and you should be fine if you don't drive it like you stole it.