How do I clear Code 51?

Supraflymk3

Supraman
Dec 17, 2005
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
i'm not stupid i know how to clear the code. I mean how do I get it to stop coming on. My car will start up without the check engine light on and then after you rev it up a little or start moving it turns on. So what I'm asking is what is the reason that code comes up?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Supraflymk3 said:
i'm not stupid i know how to clear the code. I mean how do I get it to stop coming on. My car will start up without the check engine light on and then after you rev it up a little or start moving it turns on. So what I'm asking is what is the reason that code comes up?

Look...you ask how to clear a code 51...I told you. Sorry, but I'm not a mind reader. Good luck with your problem.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
You'll need to follow the steps in the TSRM to alleviate that situation. It could be as simple as the switch, or it could be a break in the wiring.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Could've fooled me. You were stupid enough to:

1) title your post "how do I clear code 51".

2 jump on the guy who told you how based on that wording.

3) then admit you know how to clear it which is what your original question was.

4) not search for the answers you seek which have been posted here many times in the recent past.

5) neither own a TSRM nor read the online one, which the guy who tried
to help pointed you too.

I guess we're all supposed to be mind readers in your case. OK, fair nuff. Since I know the exact answer to your questions (and your problem) see if you can read mine.

....oops, looks like the others beat me to it.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
yeah i got the same situation. its supposedly the TPS for 51 and the knock sensor for 52, generally. im not sure if my tps was maladjusted somehow, but after taking it off and all this crap...i recalibrated it(like two days ago..) i have yet to clear and check the codes again, but did notice better throttle response(maybe i just fixed the problem i made myself taking me back to square 1). i gotta get on that knock sensor crap too.
you say code 51 is the neutral start switch?...hmmm..whos right here....

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
Carson-Karnak.jpg

<In a Carson voice> Hmmmm, What is, with the key on/engine running or in diagnostic mode??

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Code 51 can be caused by three different things but it's usually the TPS.

Keep in mind not all DTCs light the MIL. 51 is one of several codes that don't turn it on. In other words you can drive around forever with these codes set and never know you have a problem until you jumper the diagnostic block. It's one reason you should check for codes on a routine basis, every oil change for example.