Hood Opening Problems

supra1988

Just Along For The Ride
Jan 22, 2007
PA
I have a problem opening my hood. This is the second supra I have owned and they both have the same problem. When you pull the latch on the inside, the hood doesn't pop up at all. You are then left with the hope that your fingers are small enough to get under a corner to get it open. Is it a spring that needs to be replaces in the latch or what? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I saw a mechanic one time hit the car right in front of where the hood latch would be. I had no idea why until my hood didnt pop up and i hit it a few times, it worked ha.

Try giving it a few whacks, not on the hood but in front just over the latch.

supra1988

Just Along For The Ride
Jan 22, 2007
PA
Yup, the struts do hold the hood open... I thought the same thing. As far as you and my avatar goes, starscream, only after I find her first!:icon_bigg

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
If his are too then thats the problem. Mine were when i first bought the new supra. When i went to pop the hood the guy that sold it to me said to hold it and he had to pull the hood up. So I switched out the hood struts from my last supra and put it on this one and now I dont have a problem.

Edit - lol I guess not. Try some lithium grease on the latch. Then open and close the latch by hand until it starts getting easier.

supra1988

Just Along For The Ride
Jan 22, 2007
PA
I would rather not take to hitting her.... I guess I'l try a new set of struts and see what happens. Anybody know where to get a set for a decent price? I don't feel like supporting my local Autozone and the $50 they want for the damn things.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Hmm, use the search button up top on hood struts or something similar, there is a strut sold at autozone that isn't meant for the supra, but works just like the one for it, and should be cheaper than 50 bucks for both.

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
I dont think its the struts.. When I first got my supra the struts were completely bad, I had to hold the hood up with a stick (it came with the car :) ) the hood still poped when I pulled the release tho...