HKS SSQBOV Vaccum Line

Brady

Feb 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.nbhq.net
So I saw the thread about the HKS SSQBOV surging and I figured I should make my own thread rather than hijack it...

Anyway, mine doesn't really surge, it kind of does at low boost (as in not even showing up on the stock boost gauge, but you can hear it).

I was thinking back on it and I think I first started noticing a little flutter after I replaced my old cracked and hard rubber vacuum lines with the silicon ones.

I attached a pic of how the BOV is connected and was looking for input on a better way to do it... Does everyone that has this BOV have the lil nipple thing on it? Can I somehow get a vacuum line that reduces in the middle so I can jus run one line?

Attachments

• line.jpg
    line.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 125

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
It's a filter according to the parts list that came with my SSQV.

The instructions seem to indicate that if you have a 4mm vacuum line that can be used, the filter isn't really necessary. The filter is also a line size reducer.

89MkIII

targa'd tank
Mar 30, 2005
WI
I was having the same issues. Take the filter out, it will help cut down on the surging.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
mine did it even after i replaced the filter. although i thought it was a check valve- i could only blow air through it in one direction. im really hating the hks bov right now. im glad to see other people r having issues, not just me

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Just purchased one of the older style ssqv... compressor surge at low boost (like around .1 bar) and it is very quiet... I can hear a little bit of compressor surge then a little whistle (doesn't sound like ANY other ssqv I've heard...) even at .8/.9 bar... I've got a small leak at the flange that I hope will fix it, otherwise I'm not sure why it isn't operating properly.

Brady

Feb 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.nbhq.net
i took off the filter thingy and blew threw it and it really restricts the air...

maybe i'll try to source another one,

how bout changing the insert?

i have the purple one maybe i should try the gold one?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
The insert should make no difference.

For reference, you should try blowing through a piece of 4mm vacuum hose, which is the final stage to the SSQV anyway.

Last edited:

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
for our turbo cars you need a good supply of vacuum to run all the accesories we install. Upgrade the hoses it's not pretty but it works i removed the plenum and installed 4 vac ports , fuel press, blow off, boost gauge. Run these seperate unless you split a larger hose. You don't want to share a fuel press port with a boost gauge etc.

When i had my ssbov it was fast acting and did not surge, but this does change with the set up the size of the pipes changed the sound as will the turbo it did surge with a smaller turbo.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
If the BOV is still surging, you can try to drill out the vac. fitting slightly larger to try and help with it. If you're comfortable with doing it that is...

I would suggest dissasembling the BOV first before doing this to keep metal shavings out of it. Removing the filter in the vac. line would help as well...