Hi. It's me...

SupraGo

Oct 8, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Been hanging around this forum for a few months now and the system has just stated popping up a message warning me that I have to do some posting or be considered a total deadbeat and get cut.
Don't really want that to happen so here I am, in the spotlight. So, a very brief history. My first Supra was a 1982 Mk II that I got in 2000. Have always liked the Mk II shape but wasn't so impressed with the performance. Ran it for about 18 months with the only problem being a sheared crank pulley key. Didn't run too well after that. My next Supra was a 1986½ NA that I got at beginning of 2000. Great car, very comfortable for long trips but lacking a certain sparkle in the performance dept. Then the motor started knocking. And got worse. Figured that if it was going to cost me then I might as well try and find a turbo motor. Major improvement. That lasted about 18 months and then one day no more boost. No nasty noises just no power. The motor was burning quite a lot of oil by this time so decided to rebuild and replace the turbo. Bunch of money and a few weeks later found that the 7M-GTE motor could put out more power than I had originally thought. Then I met Fuel Cut. Nasty person. Creeps up on you beats on you just when things are really getting interesting(in my case, around 11 PSI boost). Got introduced to a Mr Lexus AFM and his friends RCS Injectors(550s). Got on really well with these guys, Fuel Cut was gone and the car was a blast. But then I started getting clutch slip, thought I had a bit when living with fuel cut but now anything over 4500 RPM in 3rd, 4th or 5th was slipping.
Here's where things take a bit of a change in direction. In researching the fuel cut problem I had read Reg Riemer's write up and of course read the Supra GTE story. Sounded a great setup and would love to do. Some time...Ordered a new clutch and Fidenza flywheel for my W58. They shipped the wrong ones. For the R154. Then a deal on an R154. And a good price on a nice 1984 Mk II. Who am I to spit in the faces of the gods?. That would be tempting providence. That was last April and there has been some progress. The 7M-GTE with the R154 has been fitted into the Mk II with an autotranny crossmember. I've aquired a whole pile of bits. Right now the body guy is finishing up some body work and clearing out any rust. Color is going from white to black. The engine has been painted with some heavy duty paint and as soon as the primer is finished in the next day or so then assembly can begin!!!!!
Have had Dr Tweak do a shotgun wedding on the Mk II and 7M-GTE wiring harnesses, have a few wires left over to find homes for but looks good. Am looking at MegaSquirt a little ways down the road.
That's it. Nice foruming with you. Bye for now.

hiimjohnespino

MKII Driver
Dec 21, 2007
Chino Hills, CA
SupraGo;901339 said:
Been hanging around this forum for a few months now and the system has just stated popping up a message warning me that I have to do some posting or be considered a total deadbeat and get cut.
Don't really want that to happen so here I am, in the spotlight. So, a very brief history. My first Supra was a 1982 Mk II that I got in 2000. Have always liked the Mk II shape but wasn't so impressed with the performance. Ran it for about 18 months with the only problem being a sheared crank pulley key. Didn't run too well after that. My next Supra was a 1986½ NA that I got at beginning of 2000. Great car, very comfortable for long trips but lacking a certain sparkle in the performance dept. Then the motor started knocking. And got worse. Figured that if it was going to cost me then I might as well try and find a turbo motor. Major improvement. That lasted about 18 months and then one day no more boost. No nasty noises just no power. The motor was burning quite a lot of oil by this time so decided to rebuild and replace the turbo. Bunch of money and a few weeks later found that the 7M-GTE motor could put out more power than I had originally thought. Then I met Fuel Cut. Nasty person. Creeps up on you beats on you just when things are really getting interesting(in my case, around 11 PSI boost). Got introduced to a Mr Lexus AFM and his friends RCS Injectors(550s). Got on really well with these guys, Fuel Cut was gone and the car was a blast. But then I started getting clutch slip, thought I had a bit when living with fuel cut but now anything over 4500 RPM in 3rd, 4th or 5th was slipping.
Here's where things take a bit of a change in direction. In researching the fuel cut problem I had read Reg Riemer's write up and of course read the Supra GTE story. Sounded a great setup and would love to do. Some time...Ordered a new clutch and Fidenza flywheel for my W58. They shipped the wrong ones. For the R154. Then a deal on an R154. And a good price on a nice 1984 Mk II. Who am I to spit in the faces of the gods?. That would be tempting providence. That was last April and there has been some progress. The 7M-GTE with the R154 has been fitted into the Mk II with an autotranny crossmember. I've aquired a whole pile of bits. Right now the body guy is finishing up some body work and clearing out any rust. Color is going from white to black. The engine has been painted with some heavy duty paint and as soon as the primer is finished in the next day or so then assembly can begin!!!!!
Have had Dr Tweak do a shotgun wedding on the Mk II and 7M-GTE wiring harnesses, have a few wires left over to find homes for but looks good. Am looking at MegaSquirt a little ways down the road.
That's it. Nice foruming with you. Bye for now.

Welcome to SM. I am also in the process of putting a 7mgte with an R154 into my black 84 MKII.