Headlight Mod

supra1988

Just Along For The Ride
Jan 22, 2007
PA
Kinda new here.. can anybody give me any info on the picture below. I want to know how to do this headlight mod. What lights were used, etc. Anybody know who's car this is... I'm pretty sure I found the picture on here somewhere.

Attachments

• 25_001.jpg
    25_001.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 422

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
It is a custom build. IIRC, he's using Hella 90mm lamps... they also have some smaller ones available now. You might try searching "hella 90mm" for more info.

Nick Stonawski

Apr 2, 2005
Manhattan Beach
see my sig for more pics. that not my car u pictured but mine are Hella 90mm modules. the one u posted ARE NOT HELLA 90mm modules. those are bigger than mine!

if u wanna do it the cost will run u all said and done close to $1k

Nick Stonawski

Apr 2, 2005
Manhattan Beach
Figit090 said:
$1k? are you kidding?

how does that add up?

sorry. not kidding.

headlamps low AND high beam for both sides
wire harness for lights
custom fab mounting(save some money if u can do this urself, but still VERY tricky)
fiberglass shrouds
bulbs (HID to SHIT)
Pivot headlight controller (or cut arms of motor)

it adds up fast. but im a fan of looking diffrent and had to do this. :)

$1k is a fair estimate. of course as u can see it can range according to ur abilities to make it work. but again the mounting part is HARD AS HELL! Urbano did it for me and spent a good part of a night trying to mount it up with bracketry and all. as stated u can get SHIT bulbs for $10 or u can get HIDS which can range to $1k+!!! so again my approximation on the cost is about right dude! ;)

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
If you skip the HID bulbs you can get this done for well under $1000. I got the lenses with bulbs - Nick where did you find shit bulbs for $10? I can't even find any bulbs that fit other than the Hella ones that came already installed - and I wouldn't call Hella bulbs shit by any means. I've seen that PIAA offers bulbs for these somewhere but can't find any "official" info - just some crazy website claiming to have the right size.

I've been working on my own headlights since 2000 - off and on whenever I get motivated. I've got one side mounted up for a test fitting. I want these to be perfect.

This is one of those pay to play upgrades. Unfortunately too many people out there take the cheap (and dangerous) route and just drop in some fog lights and driving lights. This is 100% illegal as those lights are not designed as main beams and will not throw adequate light on the road or will blind people - or both.

Here's just a quick list of things you have to do to make this work:
Purchase the lenses (~$325 for Halogen lows and highs - $1200 if you go HID on the lows - $2000 if you go HID on both)
Hack up your FRP headlight buckets to fit the new lenses
Create a bracket to hold new lenses and mount to FRP bucket
Hack rod and arm to make them shorter to allow bucket to pop up to new height
custom wire connections to match up new wiring to old wiring
tweadk wiring to allow lows and highs to be on when highs are on
custom headlight surround to make everything look clean when you're done.

If you do it right it should look factory when you are done.

Hope that helps. This is not an easy project. If you aren't a bit creative and can't visualize how things work then this is not the project for you. This is also not an impossible project if you put some time and energy into it. Spend some time staring at your existing setup and you may just figure it out.