head porting

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
Is it really worth it to port the heads on a turbo engine? I have my head off for a MHG and some studs and thought I might try it while its off. Does the supra head really benefit from this is or is it a good flowing design. I have the #13 heads and the intake divider is almost non existent on these if it makes a difference.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Is it worth it? yes...
Does it benefit? yes...

If anything, I think a turbo motor benefits MORE than an NA motor from port work... The faster you can get that air out, the quicker yur turbo spools... The less turbulance, the less obstruction, the easier it flows... If you can afford it, do it... Its worth it...

PowerTrip Performance

Custom Fabrication
Dec 5, 2005
Oregon
www.myspace.com
89turbosupra said:
Is it really worth it to port the heads on a turbo engine? I have my head off for a MHG and some studs and thought I might try it while its off. Does the supra head really benefit from this is or is it a good flowing design. I have the #13 heads and the intake divider is almost non existent on these if it makes a difference.

As much as you guys will hate me after saying this, I feel it needs to be said. 7M head castings are horrible! I have done a lot of port and polishing and just plain old cylinder head rebuilding. I've done Nissan SR20's, 4g63's, Ford Focus, on and on blah, blah, blah. I have to say by leaps and bounds Honda cylinder heads have the best castings, and port design. Its well known that the Honda VTEC heads will outflow just about anything (even some Farrari and Lambo heads!) Long story short, when I tore down my 7M head to do the port work, I knew I was in for a lot of work. A lot of what I didn't like was right behind the valve seat, there was casting flash up to 1/8" blocking flow.
Some roughness is good for fuel optimization but that was just piss poor casting.