head bolt torque on a 2j

SLO89MK3

Aug 2, 2006
Mesa, AZ
i just changed the hg on my na 2j to the gte hg. i got brand new head bolts and a brand new stock gte hg. i got the mead machined and block cleaned. cleaned all the head bolt threads in the block. lubed all the head bolts and followed the toyota instructions for a gte on torquing the head. 25 ft/lbs then two 90 degree rotations. when i was done with torquing the front head bolts were around 110 ft/lbs. and the rears were at 85. im a little worried something is wrong. and i dont want to retorque because they are torque to yield bolts. got new washers with bolts too. should i tear it apart again. or just see what happens?

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
the torque is designed to bring the bolt to the elastic limit - basically you will only receive a specific amount of clamping force before the bolt starts to stretch. Toyotas engineers designed it so that the bolt does that at 25 ft/lbs +180 degrees....

How do you know that the torque is different on the center and outer bolts? Did you try to torque after the bolts were already set? If so, you could have been fighting the friction of a set bolt which can be more prevalent on one bolt compared to another and not necessarially indicative of a greater clamping force.......

It says right in the 2jz TSRM that you can re use the head bolts as long as they measure out OK. So if you want to the chances are that the bolts you used are still good....

Another thing I wanted to ask you is if you tapped the bolt hole threads. You said that you cleaned them but that really doesnt mean much....