Having issues with Russell SS brake lines

ForcedInduction

Dec 26, 2006
Chicopee, MA
Has anyone ever installed these? These things seem to be requiring modifications. Look at the pics compared to the stock rear line and the rear line installed, fronts have the same issues.

p735230_1.jpg

p735230_2.jpg

p735230_3.jpg

Seems that if I install them the way I did, there is a space between the washer and the stock mount and it wobbles everywhere. I can probably shim it with some washers, but these are brake lines im working with and I would like to install them properly. Anybody have any ideas?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Yeah I have them and had the same problem. Also on the front if you route them the way the stocks, thru the hole, they move around on bear metal unless you put some kind of bushing made of rubber or something. Still haven't found something to put in there to keep from rubbing the braided lines.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
Please send me photo's of the problems. I can foreward them to edelbrock (russell), hopefully they can rectify the problem!

chris@autoexp.com

Forced: I'll send your photo's tomarow. Can you take clearer ones?

shepfly

Jul 23, 2007
Ohio
I had the same problem with a different brand of lines, went to NAPA and picked thru there selection for a clip to make up the thickness needed to make fit tight. So I now have a clip below the bracket and one above. The ones I used have a U shaped profile on the legs of the clip. They ended up being very secure. This might be your fastest cure to your fitment.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
I went through the same problem. If you dremel out the stock clip bigger, you can put that on the "big" side of the new line, and fit another clip into the receiver groove on the new line. Sorry I don't have any pics but its fairly straitforward.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
I just sent an E-mail to edelbrock. I will keep everyone updated to what is happening.

This is a fitment issure regarding Russell brake lines for a 86-92 supra part number 688140. These are the photo's the customer sent me. Here is the link to the forum where he is reporting the problem
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52529

Their appears to be two problems. One is the length of the front line which is quoted below. the other is with the way they clip into the stock mouting brackets. their seems to be excessive movement because of where the clips are located.
Please look these over and hopefully we can get this resolved.

"I havent installed them yet because there's an issue with the fronts too. If I try installing the top front line with the nut before the stock bracket then it's not long enough to reach the stock metal line or If I try to install it with the nut after then I'd have to bent the stock metal line back. Man and I thought these lines were direct fit.. Now I have no car, I think Ill throw the stock lines back on today after work."

Automotive Express
2420 E 28th St #8
Signal Hill, CA 90755
Phone 562-989-3894
Fax 562-989-3896
Cell 925-818-6665

--- the forwarded message follows ---

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
This problem has been around since I first put Earl's lines on over 12 years ago. No aftermarket fitting I've seen is a direct replacement for Toyota's. The same problem was there a few years ago when I replaced the hoses.

My solution was to file the spring clip larger so it would fit the new fitting, and then put in a thin aluminum "washer" I made. The washer is maybe 1/32" thick with a drilled round hole the right size to fit on the lip on the new fitting. The hole in the tab on the car is too big; this "washer" fixes that. Mine are simply square as cut with snips out of an old sign I found. Put the washer on the hose end, poke the end through the tab on the car, then clip in place. Works like a chimp.

Asterix

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
I will call them on monday, I competly forgot, but it seems like others have had this problem and worked around it.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
From what it has been reported all companies use the same fittings (or at least apear too) for thier mk3 kits. While they arn't "direct 100% fit" they do work, and are much safer then 17-20 year old rubber lines. Plenty of people have made them work, since their is so little modification needed.

I have not heard back from edelbrock, and I left a message with them yesterday. I will call them again, but I really dont see a fix for it, since they do work with minimal effort.

Chris.