h&r with kyb gr-2 a good idea?

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
Hey SM, ever since i bought my first supra i knew i had to do the suspension cause the previous owner cut the springs and it rides like crap.
So i was looking around to see what my options are since i'm on a budget and will ONLY daily drive it. My questions is how will H&R lowering springs and KYB gr-2 shocks will ride and how long will it last? Does it matter if i buy the springs used? What would you recommend? Thanks

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
That setup is fine.

I used to have h and r and tokico blues. Rides good.

Also kyb have lifetime warranty.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Don't expect the GR-2's to last too long. They were meant for stock spring and not lowering springs. H&R's get pretty low, I believe the fender will be right above the tire. Personally for me getting used springs is not too much of an issue, but I would never buy used shocks. If it were me I would go with H&R springs and Koni or Bilstein shocks because they will probably hold up better to lowering springs but they do cost more.

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
BorHor;1814029 said:
Don't expect the GR-2's to last too long. They were meant for stock spring and not lowering springs. H&R's get pretty low, I believe the fender will be right above the tire. Personally for me getting used springs is not too much of an issue, but I would never buy used shocks. If it were me I would go with H&R springs and Koni or Bilstein shocks because they will probably hold up better to lowering springs but they do cost more.

yea i did know that the gr-2 are meant for stock height. i dont want to spend that much for koni or blistein for that ill just get Megan EZ.. Is it worth it?
Thanks

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
chris_u_diaz;1814037 said:
yea i did know that the gr-2 are meant for stock height. i dont want to spend that much for koni or blistein for that ill just get Megan EZ.. Is it worth it?
Thanks

This is just my opinion but I would much rather have a good spring and shock combo then cheap coilovers.

slowma70

May 23, 2011
Orlando,FL
dmp316;1814038 said:
don't get the gr2's. Get yourself some tokico blues with eibach springs.
are tokico blues the same as tokico HP? if so they are for stock springs not for lowering. ill rather get the kyb since i havent heard anything negative from them and have lifetime warranty..idk what 2 do..lol

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Tokico blues are like 40-50 for each one.

Mine had 20k and still strong when I stopped using them.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
my gr-2s have 33k miles on them got them for $150 from kragens i used st springs. They should last a while i drive a lot so mine have been fine so far i just went with the kybs instead of the bilstiens cause i want to get coilovers soon.

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
I have H&R Progressive Springs on my car and am running the original struts up front with Tokico Blues in the back. I personally love the ride, not too stiff and handles great.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I love how the car feels like a GT while daily driving and how noticeably stiffer it gets with the push of a button/the computer's automatic adjustment.