Got a rebuilt turbo? i wanna hear about it!

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
so im 99% sure my engine is shooting light smoke due to my super old and stock ct-26... it was on the 'loose' side of things when i put it back on, hoping that the oil flow would tighten it up a bit :3d_frown:

so i wanna hear who rebuilt your turbo, how much, and many miles are on it? and also did you get any kind of a warranty with it?

edit:

im pretty sure my turbo makes a slight 'supercharger whine' when i REALLY get on it, like 80%+ torottle it doesnt like it... i just noticed it last night coming home... so yeah.

Last edited:

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
sure it's not those total seals causing smoke? ;)

or the POS GTE oil filter housing that causes an Effective pressure leak at 40+ PSI?

And is the Oil Sender new?

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
compression is good. and i severly doubt that i smoke at an low speed cause of my GTE filter housing... oil sender is new.

now, if you dont have any info relating to the topic, please dont bother posting... i need info on turbos, not my engine.

my dad was watching me drive away in 1st gear at 1500rpms... and i sometimes smoke on start up, and its very blueish smoke.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Majestic turbo in Texas

Turbo Power in Cameron Park.

Both are not cheap, but used in past and did a great job.

But not for the CT26,

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
I found a place in texas... but not majestic. heres my list thus far:

Performance Techniques - san bernadino CA

Extreme turbo shop - Florida

blouch Turbo inc

G-pop shop - springdale, AR
(375ish)

Turbochargers.com - Houston, texas
($275 just to rebuild, no new wheels or anything)

and i've read a lot of 'success' stories about people doing it themselves... but im very skeptical, although, grimjack i think had a thread back in 05 that was i reading...

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
the only problem i have about DM... is that, it only costs $50 for or whatever for the upgraded wheel... i mean... if all i want is a stock rebuild why is it so damn expensive? which is why im shopping around... i may just bite the bullet and get the 57trim... but i honestly dont see a point in it right now...

im gonna call around tomorrow and see if this place in hayward will do it.

noah89t

get naked & boost a supra
performance techniques did mine in 2003.
cost me about 25 to ground ship it to them and i sent a next day air call tag with it to get it back quicker.
cost me 600-625 for a .57 trim with clipped exhaust wheel and ceramic coated turbine housing. turbo had no cracks in wastegate area then.
last november i sent it to jon at MDC cause my wastegate was preventing me from pulling to redline on the dyno in chicago.(350hp/400tq at 5,000rpm) it probably makes a little more power and torque with the last 1500 rpm that i can now reach. He checked over the turbo and said it was still in great shape with minimal shaft play. it did develop one small crack in the wastegate port.
i probably have about 40-50k miles on it so far. it doesn't smoke and builds boost nicely all the way to my 21-22 psi.
i don't remeber if there was a warranty involved, and it took about a week total turn around time.
worth it in my opinion, but i'm ready for something larger.
hope this helps you

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
thats a hell of a deal for 675... the ceramic was probably a good $75 of that... and it got an 'upgrade'... hmm... i'll be sure to call them tomorrow for sure then.

noah89t

get naked & boost a supra
i dug up my receipt:
performance techniques
909-824-1020
CT-26 compressor u/g 57 / 7 DEG CLIP..475.00
ceramic coating.................................70.00
UPS next day shipping.........................50.00
total................................................595.00

i guess i was thinking of when i sent my turbo to jon with a call tag.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
noah89t;1104493 said:
yeah i was gonna say, prices may be higher now.
for them to do just a rebuild was 250 iirc.

if i can get it all done for 400 shipped and back... i'll be more than happy. but i'll see what otheres post in the morning, and tomorrow... cause i dont wanna base my decision off of one person!

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
If im just going to sell the car whats the point of the 57trim? so i can just hit fuel cut allll day long?

my dad is working out getting my car painted by a place... and depending on how everything works out, that will determine what i do.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
why would you sell you car after all that work rennat? like there saying you should go with a 57trim and KEEP your supra. you'll regret it if you sell it.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
im jobless right now... im using the money from selling my other supra to finish this project. granted i just made 250 working at my old job for 3 days... but still..

Performance techniques - 275 for a standard rebuild, AND its 2-3 day turn around... so far there look pretty good

extreme turbo shop - 300 for standard rebuild

im gonna go pull all of my valve cover stuff and re-torque my head since i've put a good 100miles on it, and im gonna pull my intake to check the turbo and see how bad it really is.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
i had a ct that had horrible shaft play. yet it boosted fine and didn't burn oil. i actually sold it and i think he is running it without problems being that i haven't heard from him. as long as it boosts ok sell the car just as is if thats what you really want to do.