good deal? '89 turbo for $300?? Never purchased a non-running car before

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
I know this might sound like a silly question but I need some other opinions on this. I've been looking at supras for sale near where i'm going to be traveling tomorrow and i found one...but i've never bought a non-running car and i need opinions on this. details:

he wanted 500 but now 300 and i get it. one big issue is i live around 300 miles away and that means i must rent a truck and trailer to tow it. but here are the specks

White 1989 Toyota Supra turbo
body damage to drivers side fender and front bumper - says needs replaced, i can do this myself easy
wiring problem - fuse/relay box on new wiring harness needs replaced (easy???)
targa
5-speed
blue leather interior
adjustable suspension (I dont know if its tems or not)
power everything
spoiler
he was told that it ran great and didn't burn oil and turbo spun freely when he bought it - he never got around to getting it running though so doesnt know for SURE
all parts are included
kenwood head unit along with it..dont know details on that one.

if i could get some opinions on this. I'm currently working on my N/A supra but this seemed like a great deal and if opinions turn out good i might be able to swing by and pick her up. I just dont want to get into it if you guys think it's not worth it. i know its vague on the running condition of the engine and such but thats why i'm here because i've never done this before and i'd like an opinion from somone who HAS bought a non-running thing to fix up. it's not a huge immediate investment but it's a huge item that i can't buy unless its really a good idea and i can fix it. my dad really doesnt like the whole ("it'll sit and never get finished" idea....so i have to be sure)

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
yeah my dad and i repaired the same area of damage on his mitsubishi mighty max. i would probably get new parts from a junkyard but we have a can of bondo.... i can do the bodywork. its just other areas that are more tedious. i dont know much about turbos...i know they run hotter/more prone to BHG.

he said that the frame was not damaged. i'm hoping this guy is a car enthusiast, he said he needs the money. he also mentioned his mr2 when replying to me so i'm assuming he at least a do-it-yourselfer and if he bought it chances are it's pretty decent...but some people buy crap. i'm waiting to see pics of the thing, i WILL post if i get some.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
steal it. sell me the moudlings and youllalmost be at the break point of profit :D. Someoen isnt getting back to me with a shipping quote for another set -_-
edit. By mean steal it im sayign that price was a steal so get it. dont go to jail >_>

Last edited:

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
thanks for clearing that up.

i'm running into some serious problems though... my dad is helping me calculate a the move to the northcoast and total it's like 700 dollars to get it up here, and thats a one way trip.

Thats a huge problem cause i dont have a job and i have a BHG to attend to as well on my current car...so if i could get the total move down to 600 or 500 i'd be happy. is anyone familliar with a good rental place where i could get the stuff i'd need to move a car one way from Sacramento to humboldt county? oh boy...

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
Figit090 said:
thanks for clearing that up.

i'm running into some serious problems though... my dad is helping me calculate a the move to the northcoast and total it's like 700 dollars to get it up here, and thats a one way trip.

Thats a huge problem cause i dont have a job and i have a BHG to attend to as well on my current car...so if i could get the total move down to 600 or 500 i'd be happy. is anyone familliar with a good rental place where i could get the stuff i'd need to move a car one way from Sacramento to humboldt county? oh boy...
well if you wanted, you could unhook the ds, and tow it in neutral on a tow hook:icon_razz

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
ds? whats that?

i thought of this but then i still need a tow vehicle. we have a nissian quest minivan with a 6cyl and a mitsu mighty max with a 4cyl and i doubt either is up to the challenge...plus rental and install of a tow hitch and single axle dolley would be manditory.

i dont know about that... plus its a two way trip and gas is around 3.40 a gallon up here. one way is best but i'm open to all options that could get this sucker up here the cheapest way possible.

what about long distance towing services...?

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
well it just fell through, thanks for you help. I was talking to my dad and he seemed ok with the idea but then he just now said no. the transport is just impractical and if i bought it i'd have two broken supras. i guess it was a bad idea. thanks anyway...sorry for causing clutter.:cry:

-------EDIT------
i forgot to say, if it was closer i'd probably just get it, but it's around 350-400 miles from my residence and i didnt have any previous experiance with vehicle transport over a long distance and didn't realise the issues. i apologise.

It's in Sacramento if anyone wants to PM me and get the URL for his add. it's on craigslist still i think.

Last edited:

DyslexicSquirrel

Busy Member
Mar 9, 2006
San Marcos, TX
i rented a uhaul trailer for one day to get my donor car and it was like 50 dollars.

300 is an incredible deal!!!!
as long as it has a good fan shroud, molding set, and climate control you have basically already got your moneys worth.

Good Luck

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
DyslexicSquirrel said:
i rented a uhaul trailer for one day to get my donor car and it was like 50 dollars.

300 is an incredible deal!!!!
as long as it has a good fan shroud, molding set, and climate control you have basically already got your moneys worth.

Good Luck

i dont have a good truck to tow the thing with or i would just buy that dolley and throw her in neutral. :cry:

i dont know about the molding and fan stuff. climate control probably, but the engine was confirmed to run on starting fluid....so there's a 7mgte in there.... and a wiring harness...maybe two if i understood him.

damnit.:nono:

s383 - thanks...i'll try not to.

if i could just find a nice big truck...for cheap. i could rent one but then returning it.... i wish i had another day.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
call ahead and rent an SUV from Hertz at the location where the car is at with your home town as the drop off location (I forget if hertz allows this, but one of the car rental places that rents SUV's should allow for one way rentals) then rent a one way on the trailer or tow dolly as well. Drive down in your most fuel efficient vehicle, buy/rent everything there and drive back.

Wouldnt be cheap but it would be less than the 700 dollars you mentioned I think.

drivinginstyle

May 6, 2006
Bellingham, WA
Coming from a guy thats gone through a project car with out ever getting it running. And on my second one that should be running in 2-4 weeks, if you have any second thoughts, don't get it. Plus you already have a Supra project; good deals come around a lot, you can wait for another. Good luck.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
theWeezL said:
call ahead and rent an SUV from Hertz at the location where the car is at with your home town as the drop off location (I forget if hertz allows this, but one of the car rental places that rents SUV's should allow for one way rentals) then rent a one way on the trailer or tow dolly as well. Drive down in your most fuel efficient vehicle, buy/rent everything there and drive back.

Wouldnt be cheap but it would be less than the 700 dollars you mentioned I think.

I just thought of that when i got to my destination about an hour north of the car but had no phone most of the time and i didnt want to infuriate my dad and ruin our day by asking.

drivinginstyle said:
Coming from a guy thats gone through a project car with out ever getting it running. And on my second one that should be running in 2-4 weeks, if you have any second thoughts, don't get it. Plus you already have a Supra project; good deals come around a lot, you can wait for another. Good luck.

well i just got some sort-of good news. one of my friends lives about an hour away from the car during the summer and i'm going to her b-day party there in a month most likely. i have a CHANCE of getting to see the car, and then a possibility of her dad towing it up for me...but none of it has been asked so...it's an idea.

for now, i'm droping it like you said. my dad aslo said this and i'll just move on. i probably will never look at the car.

thanks guys!:icon_bigg