Going NA/T, have some Q's

agp1183

Oct 31, 2006
Lansing, MI
Ok, so I have a bone stock 7mge that is about to get rebuilt for boost. I'm looking to hit somewhere around 450-500 whp, using an upgraded ct-26. I'm looking into using emanage, as i'm most familiar with it and its low cost. ARP head studs and a titan MHG will also be put on. New triple core aluminum radiator, too.

I'm wondering if 550cc injectors would be sufficient? Will stock pistons and rods hold up fine? I'm trying to do this on a budget :icon_bigg

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
Ma70.Ent said:
Well, we know how this will turn out...
doesn't everyone build their car on a budget?

everyone WANTS to splurge, but no one here, excluding a few, have the money to actually build the car they truly desire

give the guy a break :boobies:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yeah...just so long one thing is understood..."budget" does not equal "cheap".

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
Go forged and give your motor a nice backbone to ride on. Then give it a good work over with supporting goods.

I've learned that the words "budget" and "supra mk3" don't get along well when used in the same sentence.

edit: 550cc injectors can get you there. Here's a writeup on 7mpower by Will Neely, and another by Ckanderson with stages to follow your buildup.

Last edited:

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Apparently there are members that are confused on what the definition of a budget is. Everyone keeps a "budget" in mind while building the motor.

As for the pistons and rods......I wouldnt push the pistons to those limits, but there have been some arguments stating that with properly prepped stock rods, they can be pushed to 500rwhp.

With that being said, you still would be pushing the limits, and if you plan on keeping the 7M, I would go with forged internals for those power goals. I mean I paid $450 for my set of Eagle rods with ARP rod bolts....good insurance IMO.

If you plan on cutting corners to get to that power goal, the bottom end definitely isnt the place to do it IMHO.

Good Luck,
Brandon

agp1183

Oct 31, 2006
Lansing, MI
I didn't mean I was going to cut corners, I've got all winter to save money and work on this project. I'm just trying not to spend alot, like buying a super expensive turbo kit or anything like that.

I think I may start off trying to reach 300whp on a stock bottom end, get everything tuned and working properly, then when I rebuild my engine upgrade the pistons and rods. Then hopefully I will be able to reach around 500 whp.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
agp1183 said:
I didn't mean I was going to cut corners

Well, my bad.

I'm just used to the concept of "going cheap". Actually, I'm sort of like that sometimes. :3d_frown:

agp1183

Oct 31, 2006
Lansing, MI
in my case it would be easier to rebuild in the spring and do the simple stuff now, because I'd rather pull an engine in the sun rather than in the snow... (no garage)

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
I'll say yes to that. It's no good working on a car when it's this time of year, and it's not even "winter" yet. Especially without a garage.

IMO: Spend some time pooling together the necessary parts you need over the winter. Go over the standard stage 0 of maintenance, do a ton of reading on buildups, get some ideas of what you'll want for the build, and fire through it in the spring.

agp1183

Oct 31, 2006
Lansing, MI
Thats exactly what I'm going to be doing. I've got quite a few leaks to sort out before I even start(fuel, coolant, brake fluid, clutch fluid, oil) :)