Godd@mn Tranny!

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
Ok, for those that know, I got into a crash about a month ago ( the post is easy to find, I don't post a lot).

Anyway I bought a shell car from ma71supraturbo in December, and I finally finished porting everything good from my crashed MKIII into the shell car, and now it's finally running::w00t::. The engine's operating perfectly, but I'm getting code 61 (Speed sensor 02 error) from the ECT.

I just checked inside the extension housing and the rotor for the speed sensor looks fine but the speed sensor itself looks a little beat up (I'll post the pic tommorow). I swapped the beat up looking speed sensor with one I knew to work, and it did for about 10mins despite still giving a code 61, but now it's back to square one.

I found out I was three quarts short when filling up the tranny (for some reason I was thinking of engine oil specs when I did it the first time), so after filling it up to specs I ran it in drive to fill the torque converter and get it to upshift, but I still haven't made any progress.

I also checked both sets of harness wires with the multimeter for signal continuity, both the tranny and the engine harness are fine.

The only things left I can think of are that I have a bad ECT/Speed Sensor/both or that my shift cable is adjusted so horrifically that the tranny refuses to upshift!:cry:

If anyone has any ideas let me know!

BoostLess7mge

JDM owns me...
Aug 29, 2005
Chicago
looks like someone is in the same boat as me, i've replaced the speed sensor as well and still throwing code 61. flashing overdrive light is annoying!

89Joe

POTATOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 22, 2005
Missouri
I would suggest changing the fluid in the tranny and swapping out the old filter. Because lord knows if you haven't ya got about 16-17 years of deposit depending on if it was changed or not... I know mine wasn't.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=MA&Page=12

I had code 64 on my tranny and I just dropped in a new one, of course this was an automatic, so I don't know how much help I can be but tell you to change the fluid and filter to see where that gets ya.

-Joe

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
My old man had a maxima that was doing what you are talking about and I know these are two different dogs. But he changed the fluid and had zero problems after that.

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
89Joe said:
I would suggest changing the fluid in the tranny and swapping out the old filter. Because lord knows if you haven't ya got about 16-17 years of deposit depending on if it was changed or not... I know mine wasn't.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=MA&Page=12

I had code 64 on my tranny and I just dropped in a new one, of course this was an automatic, so I don't know how much help I can be but tell you to change the fluid and filter to see where that gets ya.

-Joe

Well I have already swapped the filter, but I think draining/refilling may be the best solution for now. I think it may be overfilled right now, because I had to fill up the torque converter and most of the fluid (7.6 qts according to Cygnus) in there stays even when draining.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/TechTips/statistics.aspx

As of right now it's at my Dad's friend's personal shop, just to make sure it's not an electrical/mechanical problem.

I'm really hoping that it's just a fluid deal, because even with the "busted" speed sensor it was shifting in the right places for a while. Thanks for the input guys, once it gets back from the shop I'll let you know what the deal is.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i say drop the pan check the deposits, i would suggest checking the dipstick too before you start hehe

i still have those sensors left over from my auto, i had to take out the ones my replacement trans came with. not sure what car it came off though... sensors were different yet... barely different...

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
jetjock said:
No, it doesn't. And changing the filter or fluid isn't going to help with the problem. Still be a good thing to do for other reasons though.
Yayy!! You Came!:wiggle: Yeah, one of the guys that works at the shop happens to be an L1 Master Tech with almost 20 yrs experience with Toyotas. It's pretty funny, because after 6 hours of working us on the problem, he started to take the car's behavior personal.

Day one 3/14
While working on it the first day we found that the car was overfilled by 3qts (I suspected that before we started working on it), the car shifts fine when completely cold, and the shift voltage would only come from the ECT intermittently. So by the end of that day, the info we gathered start to point more and more towards the electrical system:icon_evil , which is good and bad for its own reasons.

Day two 3/15
"Jim" borrowed an engine diagnostic computer from Toyota's repair shop. After several go throughs, he confirmed it wasn't the tranny itself (goody gumdrops and damn it all at once). He did find one faulty wire in the engine wiring harness (my guess is that once at operating temp, the wire casings would expand just enough to separate the wire at its break point inside the shielding ). That's all I know for now (I had school that day, and he left a loooooooooong message). I took the old harness over so he could have time to play around with its connections before I get there today.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Have you had any thoughts to going manual???
Or do you intend to stay automatic?

I personally would switch, I wouldn't have bought this auto had it not been a stick.

Jervis Mcstabby

Puddin Pops!
Jun 21, 2006
Where Indeed, CA
www.myspace.com
Ok, there were some questionable connections that we fixed, and now that we've gone through all the ECT checker test, we've found out that it is quite possible that both the speed sensors are bad.
If anyone has a spare A340E no.2 speed sensor(non-ABS) I'd love to know! (Before anyone says, "post it in the WTB sect." I already have)

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Ok there is 2 speed sensors fist of all.
Is you supra ABS or non ABS
ABS haves a sproket with over a dozen teeth on it 99% of the jdm trannys come with this and electric speedos but they are cheap A340 usualy go for as low as $60

Non-ABS haves a bi-lobal sensor with a magnet in one of the lobes and is a 2 wire reluctor sensor the ABS is a 3 wire HAll efect sensor you have to change the tailshaft portions to correct these things

make sure your kick down cable is adjusted correct!

The auto ecu gets 2 speed signals one from the dash that runs from the mechanical speedo

the other plugs into the tail shaft of your automatic it compares the two signals if there is a diffrence i forgot which one it picks. so 1 or the other sensor could be out and it still knows the cars speed.

there is 3 selenoids lock up and two others check those with an ohm meter make sure they work

after changing and going through 4-5 autos even though they were cheap i got pissed went to manuel best decision i feel i made about a month after that my car threw a piston through the block but the tranny still worked.

on a note about the mechanical speedo cable if it is binding or catching in another words the needle bounces a lot below 25mph then fix it.

This to can be a source of failure.