Found a supra, need help!

bdecker12

Apr 12, 2006
Maine
It's an '88 5spd turbo, 96k on the clock. It's leaking oil and needs the head gasket replaced. The guys asking 500 for it. Is this too much for a car that needs a HG? how hard is the install for someone whos never done a hg before. will i need to get parts machined or does it just come down to getting the new gasket and some new head studs and i'm good to go?

thanks ahead of time. - Brian

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Well, First of all

www.supramania.com/forums/search.php

I'll give you SOME answers, but I'm too lazy to type out what everyone who's ever been on this forum has answered.

Second of all, HG job is not too hard if you have a manual and a good set of tools. (Here's the Manual http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/techtips.aspx)

$500 is a good price for a BHG Supra as long as the body is straight, and doesn't have rodknock.
If you buy it, don't drive it unless the leak is extremely minor, but it doesn't sound like it is from what your describing. Tow it.

Parts do not have to be machined if you are just going to put a new OEM HG on. Just make sure the head and block are flat and clean.

Get a HG kit from Toyota, or if you wanna just be cheap and buy an Ebay kit, that's fine too, but don't use the HG that comes in an Ebay kit.

socc924

Mar 31, 2005
CT and Philly
There are a lot of factors to say if it is worth it or not. If that is all that is wrong with it, I would say definatly worth it.

And about the headgasket. You would want to first be sure it is realy blown. Then decide what your goals are with the car. If you plan on keeping it pretty stock then you could probably use a stock head gasket which would save you time and $. Even if you decide to go with a metal head gasket, there is tons of info on this site for ya. Its not all that difficult assuming you have tools, patience, and some intelligence wont hurt.

(edit) ah balls, im so slow

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
In most cases, $500 for a complete turbo car is a very good deal. Even if the body is junk, the drivetrain is worth that much, and i'm sure it's got other parts worth something. Chances are good the block and head need machining, and there will be hoses and other crap to replace, but who knows. Best bet is to pull the engine, fix everything it needs fixed, and have a fun car to play with.

bdecker12

Apr 12, 2006
Maine
i'm going to get it looked at by my mechanic on thursday, i'll be back with any questions i have. thanks everyone

supraman16

SUPRASAVER
Jul 23, 2006
Atlanta
Good price real good price. Those cars are prone for blowing head gaskets.
Do it right get a metal head gasket machine the head if warped at least send it out to be checked. replace the stretched head bolts with arp head studs.
That will take care of the major weak spot of that car. It will also create a window if you ever want to turn the boost up.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
supraman16 said:
Good price real good price. Those cars are prone for blowing head gaskets.
Do it right get a metal head gasket machine the head if warped at least send it out to be checked. replace the stretched head bolts with arp head studs.
That will take care of the major weak spot of that car. It will also create a window if you ever want to turn the boost up.

Those cars???? hey man dont you own one too? You mean our cars :) We dont know his goals. If he is aiming for 400rwhp which more than alot of people will make or better yet can handle then the stock head gasket is just fine, tq it down to 75lbs, and the stock bolts are fine they are supposed to stretch a bit helps create more clamping force(IIRC). All these have been debated over ...... and over.

However if you have to ask if $500 is a good price for complete project car ..... My guess is that you will be just like the majority of people in this community. Just be ready to spend hmmmm 500 for the car and another 1000 atleast for minor stuff that will add up quick like all the worn out parts, hoses, belts if it has been sitting for while there could be alot more things. Hopefully you can work on the beast yourself or have a friend who can or will spend alot more money. I had to replace my gas tank and fuel pump b/c it was rusted beyond belief.

bdecker12

Apr 12, 2006
Maine
i have all summer and the tools and money needed to get this car back on the road. i just want to see what shape it's actually in before i commit. I just wasnt really sure if there was anything other than the head gasket i should look for

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
If you're planning on making some decent power out of it, you might as well get it because you would end up replacing almost the same shit on the 500.00 Supra as you would on a 2000.00 one ;). If you just want a DD with maybe an exhaust or something small like that, then you may want to check around for others ;).

CBLEGUY

Organic90T "Growin Roots"
Nov 24, 2006
Cape Coral, Florida
GotBoost? said:
In most cases, $500 for a complete turbo car is a very good deal. Even if the body is junk, the drivetrain is worth that much, and i'm sure it's got other parts worth something. Chances are good the block and head need machining, and there will be hoses and other crap to replace, but who knows. Best bet is to pull the engine, fix everything it needs fixed, and have a fun car to play with.

Agree $500 a good deal, but in the eyes of the beholder. Maybe to me and you this is a gold mine, but to someone else a nightmare. I always buy my projects in what I call "project condition" which ends up being more like "how bad do I have a hard-on for this car"

Also 96K on a '88 yea a little fishy especially for $500..

Starscream you are soooo correct about replacing the same amount of stuff on a $2k car as a $500 car.

bdecker12

Apr 12, 2006
Maine
the interior is in pretty good condition for an almost 20 year old car as well. I'm getting more excited for the car as we speak. If all goes well i should be buying it friday or monday, and breaking into the motor on march 30th when i get my tools home from school.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
check for rust and possible accident damage. a dented scratched body panel can either be replaced or fixed,but it dont hurt the runnin any! if you want to dive right in and replace the motor,i say go for it.l just make it mechanically sound first