Formula SAE!!!

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
Who here is on a formula team? Better yet who even knows what FSAE is? I'm the fab leader for the University of alberta's '08 car and just wonderin who else shares my 2 passions: formula and supras!!!!

Check out my teams website that i made at:
http://ualbertafsae.weebly.com

to learn more about the competition and our cars!!

later

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
This was our 2nd year for FSAE and 2nd year we had a car entered.
Its pretty cool, I might get into it more this year if I have time.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
I'm wearing a Formula SAE shirt right now.

My dad was on the team last year and my brother's shop did most of the welding on the car. :)

I was there for moral support ;).

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
Jeff Lange said:
I'm wearing a Formula SAE shirt right now.

My dad was on the team last year and my brother's shop did most of the welding on the car. :)

I was there for moral support ;).

I'm assuming ur talking about UofC's car? Sweet we had a friendly mini competition against them a couple months ago and rocked em! lol

well if u guys are on teams lemme know which teams and how ur involved?

Anomili

Obsessed
Apr 9, 2005
In an Igloo
www.cardomain.com
I was on the McGill SAE team for a while. However, I was in a B.Sc program and still new more about cars than the engineers so they didn't like me. Ultimately I quit because they wouldn't let me do anything/wouldn't let me take the machine tools lab :p.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Kosh said:
I'm assuming ur talking about UofC's car? Sweet we had a friendly mini competition against them a couple months ago and rocked em! lol

well if u guys are on teams lemme know which teams and how ur involved?

Yeah, U of C, but I think they built a new car this year. I don't personally know anyone involved in this years car.

jmanbball

Yellow Jacket
Apr 17, 2006
Hittin' the books at Tech
GT Motorsports right here.

saegroupuw5.jpg

I'm the one in the white cap.

Unfortunately, I havent been able to help this semester, since ive been co-oping with John Deere in augusta.

Kosh

Sep 10, 2007
Edmonton
Seeing as how i'm an executive this year i've told people this a lot. Formula is something that you HAVE to WANT to do. If your like "oh i will make time later...or next year..or etc" its just not going to happen. And to those who are in first year or second year and so on...IT JUST GETS WORSE!!! lol Some people have this illusion that it gets easier, you get less work, they're not trying to weed us out anymore, blah blah blah.

number 1: your grades will go up because the competitive avg goes up. Period end of story, thats where the "getting easier" ends.

number 2: Your life will only get busier as you progress ie 2nd yr then 3rd and 4th...

Now with that said, Being a 1st year is tough because you have to adapt to the whole "holy shit i'm not in high school anymore!" but once you get used to it(hopefully in the first week or your fucked lol) then you should make time. One thing you need to realise is that university is about experiences, not homework or assignments or projects(although some projects are sweet cause i get to do formula stuff!!). I guarantee that at least 60% of the students are in some sort of after school student group or club. If you love cars that go fast, its simple JOIN FORMULA and commit. You will never regret it. Sure your grades may slip a lil but let me tell you this, I just landed a design job for my co-op wprk term. Every single person that they interviewed for the position along with me had at least 1 whole GP over me. These guys had anywhere between 3.6 - 40 (on a 4.0 point GPA scale) i'm at a 2.8, and guess what. I got the job because not only do i have descent grades but because i'm involved in formula. If you throw formula on your resume your golden. Some companies only hire formula alumni.

Anyway's basic summary, In general, if you want to join a student group(Any student group!!) DO IT!! It will add to your experience so much. And if you love cars or anything that moves then join formula, you will never ever regret it! And don't worry about commitment, just dump your girlfriend and you'll be fine!!! lol

hope that wasn't too much for anyone, if you guys have any questions about formula pm me or email me. and check out our website

http://ualbertafsae.weebly.com

Later