finally got a 1j swap

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
alright guy, after i found out that the motor set i was gonna get is out of a soarer i started to call up other places to see if they had any supra 1jz in stock. of course they didnt but one spot did have a front clip. now i kno i said i would never buy one but i couldnt say no to the price so i had to take it. after calulating all it would take to get a motor set running in the car and how much it would take with this particular set for the price i was payin it turned out that this way would actually be a few hundred cheaper so i jumped on it. i guess im glad a bought the front clip but im just a little nervous that i got in over my head here. i been researching this swap for quite some time now and im a auto tech major in college so i am mechnical incline but for some reason im still just a but nervous. lol stupid right? i guess its just cuz i havent done anything on this size of scale before. hopefully it goes smoothly and if i get stumped hopefully u guys will be there to help me outta it.
as soon as i get the clip i gotta get to work taking everything out because the place where im gonna put it i wont be able to keep an entire clip there for very long.
so im thinking of everything im gonna need to take out of it. so far i got:

Motor
tranny
wiring harness and ecu
ignitor chip
fuse box
radiator and hydrofan setup
motor mounts and crossmember
gauge cluster ( to get the 1j tach)
1j body connectors

am i missing anything here guys? i hope ill be ready and prepared to do this swap. is there anyone in the NYC area that would be able to help if i get stuck?
o yea its a 91 1jzgte supra front clip with 82311 km on it

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Map sensor
Intercooler and piping if you are sticking with the stock one

P.S. Does it have front coilovers on it by chance? Or did they take them off?

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
AF1JZ said:
Map sensor
Intercooler and piping if you are sticking with the stock one

P.S. Does it have front coilovers on it by chance? Or did they take them off?

they took them off i believe. where is the map sensor located anyway. i thought it was on the motor

#1StunnaVic

Mar 19, 2007
Bronx
o yea and when i get the clip do yo guys have any tricks or methods or any tips at all to use in order to take out the 1j? i mean i kno i gotta disconnect the hoses and the fuel lines and the wire harness but is there any particular way i should go about it? this there anything that i will need to remove (e.g. the intake manifold and exhaust manifold) in order to remove the motor or get to the mounts? thanks

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
You can leave the intake/exhaust manifold on. Make sure to disconnect the engine wiring harness from the ecu and pull it out from the firewall. Remove the motor mount nuts that are on the bottom side of the crossmember. You'll know if you forgot anything when you pull the engine out. So, just make sure to go slow with the engine hoist when you're pulling so you don't break anything that you didn't disconnect.