_________________State_
Test1 _____ Test2 ____ Test3

HydroCarbons_____1.0000:
2.5252 ____ 1.7432 ___ 1.6689

CarbonMonoxide__20.0000:
50.2921 ___ 9.4837 ___ 13.61114

Oxides on Nitrogen 2.2000:
1.6889 ____ 1.8797 ___ 1.6109

After I failed the first test I poured some injector cleaner in my tank and drove it to a quarter tank and also made sure my catalytic converter was really hot after a good hour of driving but I STILL cannot seem to pass the Hydrocarbons test!!??

I'm thinking of cleaning my KN filter and maybe replacing my spark plugs which may have about 40K since my bhg rebuild work about 2.5 years ago.

Not sure what to look at again?? I'm open to constructive advice please. Thanks.

snake eyes

Dec 21, 2005
katy, tx
www.myspace.com
also some seafoam (or water) through the vac. system before you change the plug is a good idea too. helped my NOX but you look to be fine. Couldn't hurt

Also check your timing and put it back to 10deg if you have it advanced. Would get ya to a good start. Im sure someone on here would be able to give ya a more exact answer

<l><l>

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
PROJECT N00b;1148390 said:
Change your O2 sensor, your plugs and if your cat is old change that too. Check for codes too JIC.

Not too sure about the O2 sensor, may have to test it. Should I be looking at a wideband O2??
I'll be checking the plugs to see if they are fouled (they come already gapped from Toyota, right?) My RT cat is brand new!

92TealSupra;1148403 said:
Is your EGR on the car still?

Yes, ERG is on the car.

Besides the above BPU mods, the car is stock, timing is not advanced.

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
when i failed for hydrocarbons

i had these things wrong and were fix soon after

1: boost leak (the hose that comes off the 3000 pipe to the bov)

2: a bad ignition coil or whatever so cylinder 5 wasn't getting good or any spark

3: got new spark plugs and put the wires i already had in (ngk wires)

4: the cat on the downpipe was clogged just about completely, hurting my performance sooo bad so that was taken off (don't think anything was damaged thankfully)
now my car is boosting like a champ and feels stronger then ever

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
Supra469;1148413 said:
Not too sure about the O2 sensor, may have to test it. Should I be looking at a wideband O2??
I'll be checking the plugs to see if they are fouled (they come already gapped from Toyota, right?) My RT cat is brand new!

if you arent sure, change it anyways. the plugs should always be checked and have to be at 0.8mm (0.031in). also change the wires if they are old.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If you're going to use a in-tank injector cleaner, you need one that contains polyether amine (PEA - Chevron invented it)...anything else is a waste of cash. Chevron Techron Concentrate, Gumout Regane (yellow liquid in the clear bottle) or Red Line SI-1. I prefer Gumout Regane. Chevron has it as an additive in their gasoline. Additives containing PEA is more expensive for a reason...it actually works vs the other solvent based products.

There is no "idle control" on the AFM. Noob - this is the Tech Section...be damn sure before you post.
If you're tempted to adjust the idle screw on the early model TBs...Don't. It's set to closed from the factory and should stay there.

If you want to clean your combustion chamber, use water not Seafoam (another snake oil type product). You'll need a pint container and a needle valve to meter the water into a vac port on the intake manifold.

High HC indicates incomplete combustion...a misfire due to an ignition or timing problem. Change your plugs, check the wires, set timing per the TSRM. A vac/boost leak is also a possible cause. I seriously doubt it's the O2 sensor.

You might want to change your oil and make sure the PCV path to the TB and the TB PCV port are clear.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
PROJECT N00b;1148453 said:
Sorry, I adjusted mine when I failed emissions to make it idle per TSRM.

Adjusting the screw on the AFM is nowhere in the TRSM...all it does is allow more/less unmetered air past the AFM. A crude way to adjust AFR when running more boost or bigger injectors...best used with an AFPR. It is not the way to adjust idle...the ECU does that. All you did was mask what other issue you have concerning how the idle system works.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
PROJECT N00b;1148453 said:
Sorry, I adjusted mine when I failed emissions to make it idle per TSRM.

Only because somebody changed it from where it was supposed to be to start with.

Carbon monoxide is a result of a rich mixture. That is a partially burned molocule. Hydrocarbon is raw fuel. Yours HC's aren't that bad. So jdubs recomendation of checking tune up parts is pretty good.

I wouldn't be suprised if your new cat is the problem. Toyota cats are retarded expensive, but work really well.

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
Nick M;1148462 said:
Carbon monoxide is a result of a rich mixture. That is a partially burned molocule. Hydrocarbon is raw fuel. Yours HC's aren't that bad. So jdubs recomendation of checking tune up parts is pretty good.

I wouldn't be suprised if your new cat is the problem. Toyota cats are retarded expensive, but work really well.

Why would the new RT cat be the problem??? It should be operating efficiently.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
doing-it-wrong.jpg

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Supra469;1148473 said:

To anybody in the market for a catalytic converter, may I suggest you go through
http://www.exhaustdepot.net/edbol3higflo.html
It is a 3" hi-flo cat.

I purchased one for my 86.5 w/gte conversion. It passed emissions with flying colors and the performance of the car was terrific.

Sorry for the shameless plug but I think more people need to know about their product.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Supra469;1148473 said:

Because they don't work as well as factory.

How does the car run? Does it run absolutely great? Or does it have a hiccup? If you have a problem, the emission failure is likely related. If you have an igintion miss, you will feel it.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
gtsfirefighter;1148581 said:
I purchased one for my 86.5 w/gte conversion. It passed emissions with flying colors and the performance of the car was terrific.

Sorry for the shameless plug but I think more people need to know about their product.

Those are a nice CAT ;)

Slow_Sc3;1148660 said:
make a small exhaust leak under the hood and be done with this and move on with life.

Great idea! Lets induce another problem to cover this one!

Slow_Sc3

I beat bikes dude
Apr 2, 2005
Maryland
jdub;1148664 said:
Great idea! Lets induce another problem to cover this one!

how is that a problem make a small leak after the o2 sensor im pretty sure im not the only person that has ever done that.

or how about you just put the stock exhaust/ cat back on the car...... i guess its just too easy to try and do things the simple way.