Exhaust choice/sound related questions.

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
Well I'm getting my supra a full exhaust setup for xmas. Down the road(in a couple months) I will be dynomatting the whole car(back seats/trunk/rear QPs/doors of the car because I'm installing a custom sub box where the rear seats were and custom audio setup.

My question is: If i get a loud exhaust, can I still comfortably listen to music(not WOT driving, just cruising)?...

exhaust setups I'm thinking of
BIC Rerouted DDP with BIC 3.5in thunder exhaust or Blitz nurspec.

I'm an audiophile, but I love the sound of a nice deep exhaust.

Thanks.
x ryan

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
If its really well sound insulated then it will be less of an issue.

In my car, with a nur spec, its impossible to even have a phone conversation. I simply can't hear anything.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I have no issues in my car. I have a rerouted DDP, an 18 inch glass pack style resonator, Magnaflow high flow cat and a twin tip Magnaflow muffler. The exhaust note in noticeable in the car but it quickly blends into the background. It sounds very smooth and is just a slight hum, not a constant drone. On the highway you can hear it over the tire noise but it is slightly more noticeable in city driving.

I don't think my car is overly loud but it has set off a few car alarms at part throttle...

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
I have the BIC DDP, Test Pipe and their thunder cat back and at cruising I can still enjoy my music. Now at WOT, you might as well forget about it.

Mischief7m

Broke and Lovin It
Sep 13, 2007
Central Ma / Cape Cod Ma
i got a dc sports 3.25" cat back, test pipe, and titan motorsports dp, and i can comfortably listen to music, and talk on the phone, however if i want it to, it will set off car alarms

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
I was unhappy with the loud drone at cruising speeds running a 3" system with resonator and Megan muffler. In my opinion, you will probably want a bigger muffler to dampen the drone. I'm currently installing a Vibrant 3" pre-muffler along with a larger Apex'i muffler because the drone is very annoying.

Clied

Wangan Supra
Jun 8, 2006
NorCal
RSR.....I have a full 3 inch from teh turbo. It's not that loud or I just got use to it. And for teh price you can't really go wrong with teh RSR. Go to 935.

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
I have a home made 3" with a jetex 3" silencer the rest is straight through its a bit louder than stock but not to loud can still listen to music and have a conversation while I drive.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I ran a fairly unrestrictive full 3" system that was 97Db and droney at highway speeds.... (ear bleedingly loud at 8300/30psi WoT pulls)

I built my Twin system that's 88Db that shifted the power curve/spool 1000 rpm earlier on the dyno and made around the 20 rwhp more on the top end and is silent on the open road to the point you can talk in a whisper and still hear each other.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
i've got a bic ddp (obviously loud at wot), test pipe, and 3.5" exhaust w/ resonator... i think it's just perfect (although loud if outside the car), but there are variations in level of noise

The exhaust does get louder the more you drive it (if it were a dd (which i have used it for), I'm not sure what it is, but either the packing gets looser, or something, but the car is MUCH quieter if it has been sitting for a few days, than if it were being driven on a daily basis. If this doesn't make sense I'll try to explain more, but my car is in greensboro NC, i'm off at school

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
IJ. said:
I ran a fairly unrestrictive full 3" system that was 97Db and droney at highway speeds.... (ear bleedingly loud at 8300/30psi WoT pulls)

I built my Twin system that's 88Db that shifted the power curve/spool 1000 rpm earlier on the dyno and made around the 20 rwhp more on the top end and is silent on the open road to the point you can talk in a whisper and still hear each other.
mind givin me some more info on the 88db system? im wanna put the quietest exhaust as possible while still gaining power. and you seem to have got that nailed down.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
kotu100 said:
mind givin me some more info on the 88db system? im wanna put the quietest exhaust as possible while still gaining power. and you seem to have got that nailed down.

It's "custom". lol

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
muff02.jpg

IJ's crazy insane exhaust work.
I take 0 credit for this.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
The next best choice would probably be the Tanabe Hyper Medallion. It's got 2 big mufflers in line, but they are straight-through designs, maintaining good power. The key to getting the volume down is to avoid skinny little mufflers.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
hmm, nice lookin system, all i'd really need is a cut out view of whats in that box thingy and im sure i could fab it up.

oh and does anyone know what DB the tanabe SMH is? they dont say its under 93DB like they do with their Medalion touring and medalion concept blue.