Engine wont stay at idle

Gen III

WhoGotBOOST
Sep 29, 2005
ontario,california
Hello peeps,

i picked up an 87 supra targa turbo. it was a buddy of mines.. currently it is sitting in my driveway due to the car not being able to hold idle.

it took us a while to actually get the car started. sorta like when you the car isnt getting fuel. but once it was started it would hold idle, but it wasnt smooth. we took it for a drive and the car seemed somewhat sluggish, boost seemed low as well. we brought it to a stop and noticed that we had to keep the foot on the gas or it would drop idle and eventually shut off. I have driven this car in the past and it is a beast when he first had the motor rebuilt. he had the car sitting in back for over a year cause he couldnt get it smogged.

Now this is what i am wondering. the guy that owned it before jimmyrigged the intercooler piping. there are different sized piping in certain parts of the plumbing. I guess the last time it was driven, one of the pipes came undone. some of the piping doesnt fit like it should and i feel the piping needs to be all redone anyway. CoULd an intake leak have that much affect?

Someone also mentioned it could be fcon needs "flashing".

the only mods i know are as followed:

rebuilt 7mgte
blitz blowoff
fcon
fcd
greddy wastegate
intercooled
exhaust

ever since the rebuilt, i dont think its been tuned. but it should still hold idle.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
A boost leak (bad IC piping/connectors) causes problems like this. Make sure there are no IC/IC piping leaks and go from there.

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
If you have a leak in the IC piping it could cause idle problems because it could be sucking in unmetered air and under boost it would be leaking so that could cause the boost to be low and make it feel slow.

I know nothing about the FCON, however I would start out with the simple things first. If the car has been sitting a year, the gas is very old and that would cause a lot of problems. So make sure you put fresh gas in it.

Also just check other common things like plugs, plug wires and codes.

Good Luck

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Check other intake related hoses.
Like IAC, BOV, Vac Lines