engine temp guage actin wierd???

red88suprat

not a lurker
Jan 11, 2006
coeur d alene
ok so i just noticed that if i heit boost that the engin temp gauge goes down. now im assuming that this isnt good but i dont know what would cause it. any ideas...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Do all the usual 7M Coolant checks like checking for bubbles while it's running and check the Oil to make sure there's no coolant in there check under the Oil cap for gloop and when it's cold park it somewhere nose up on a hill turn the heater on and fill the radiator while it's idling.

92turbo4life

Banned
Sep 12, 2005
wherever
BHG... my car did the same build boost it go down then stay then go up.. i was in denial though:) eventually the gauge will just go up and stay there!

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
have you been messing with the gauges at all? have you had the gauge cluster out?

I just took my cluster out to wire in a new boost gauge, and whenI put it back together my temp gauge (stock) didn't move at all, now it works, but sometimes it does that same thing, i'll get in the boost, and the boost gauge goes up, and the temp gauge goes down (I think I knocked the cluster around a lil bit)...yes, my boost gauge is wired in correctly.

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
After you check your radiator and theres no bubbles and/or everything else seems good...Try checking your sensor on your thermostat housing...Make sure that it is plugged in or not broken. YES, disconnected, your temperature gauge will still move...but it just goes up and down when you give it heavy gas...it happened to me when I accidentally ripped the wire off the sensor...so if all else fails, check that!:)

JDM 1JZ

I hate Tires
Aug 31, 2005
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
yeah i also had a similar problem, i blew out the 3rd 4th and 5th water jackets on the hot side, but not between cylinders and the car was just over heating. it turned out my radiator had been clogged up but gauges were all reading fine, but nothing was getting to the head i guess, needless to say the head go to like 600 something degree's haha and jsut completely fucked that side of the gasket up, needless to say the head needed major rebuild which im still waiting on... atleast my block and bottom end is fine

red88suprat

not a lurker
Jan 11, 2006
coeur d alene
alright i just went and checked all the fluids and they are all good... no bubbling at idle or anything... i noticed that right under the intake manifold there is a very fine mist of something that i just caught because the sun was shinning through it.

i drove the car and only when i let off the gas after boost is when this happens.. the needle just goes down and then comes back up... i have not messed with any guages or anything?????

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
there is a coolant hardline that goes around the back of the block and up under the intake manifold (changes to a rubber hose)to the throttle body and isc valve. Ive bypassed off my tb coolant hose. Is that where there is a mist from?