Electronic speedo?!!

supra1988

Just Along For The Ride
Jan 22, 2007
PA
I'm sure it's possible to put an electronic speedo in our cars. How is it done? Is it something as simple as hooking onto a speedsense wire? Let me know your thoughts.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
In stock form the speedo itself generates the electronic speed signal.

You could probably get one of those Marlin Crawler things that mount right on the speedo cable output on the transmission to generate the necessary signal.

yaitsme

Beach Bum
Mar 2, 2006
Cheatham County, TN
normal_100_0264%7E0.JPG

Autometer Electronic Speedo
I got my sending unit from these guys:

Speedometer Service Co.
5801 West Villard Ave.
Milwaukee, WI., 53218

1-414-463-6660 8-4 CST
1-414-463-6661 FAX
www.speedometersolutions.com
info@speedometersolutions.com

Its a unit that screws into the tranny where the stock lower cable goes. It generates an electronic signal right there. With no throughput - the oem cable's gone ... so no speed signal to the TEMS or Cruise or Variable Power Steering.
The OEM "reed-type(?)" VSS that generates an electronic signal behind the gauge cluster, is apparently a completely different signal than that generated by the more common "hall effect" senders used by most of your electronic speedo's ... so the two signals are completely non-interchangeable.

Last edited:

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I think IJ would know better then I do, but the Marlin Crawler one might make a useable signal.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
As far as I know the MC ones are noisy electrically and can interfere with electronics in the car.

I had a friend build me an electronic speedo corrector box from a local kit that will input/output just about any signal you might need, I used it to feed a Hall signal into an AVCR that was expecting the 4 pulse signal from the stock Reed pieceOcrap.

It worked perfectly.