Electronic or Mechanical Gauges?

j_magers

Aug 26, 2005
Honolulu, HI
I have spots for 5 gauges, these are the ones I think I want to get. What are the pros and cons of the fol and any rec on a certain brand or setup.

Boost Gauge - Elec or Mech

Oil Temp - Elec or Mech

Oil Pres - Elec or Mech

Engine Temp - Elec or Mech

Fuel Pres - Elec or Mech

Thanks for the opinons ahead of time.

ToyoHabu

Jun 25, 2005
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
I would go electric all the way. They are better in ALL respects except for price and mayby installation if you and electricity are not on speaking terms.

Mechanical fuel and Oil pressure guages are dangerous, think hot oil and gas lines pumping into your cabin, some localities outlaw these on road going cars anyway.

Good electrical guages have better Dynamic response and tend to be more accurate but I repeat Good electrical guages.

My personal favorite guages are the Greddy or Defi link with the High tech coolness factor going to Defi link

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
i agree with toyohabu on this one. i would go with electric on every gauge but boost if you are short on money...
you can run a mechanical boost gauge with no problems, and the worst that can happen is a vacuum leak...

just think of the fuel line rupturing at 40psi, or the oil pressure doing the same at 65psi... that would be horrible.

so, to sum it up, electric for all, boost would be the only mechanical choice.

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
Electrical.

With that said, you have picked the exact same parameters that I want to get gauges for, hopefully over the winter.

I am looking at the Defi setup and possibly considering the heads up display.

j_magers

Aug 26, 2005
Honolulu, HI
Thanks, I totally agree with the electrical path. A oil line popping is not my idea of a hot oil massage.

Thanks, Iam looking at the Defi Link setup also

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
I believe all manufacutures specify fuel gages must be electrical to be inside the cabin.
Mechanical fuel gages must be outside the cabin area.

Oil gages can be inside the cabin. I had one a many years ago and it could become a mess if the tube starts leaking at the gage, or if it gets ruptured.

The more expensive gages (as if there were a cheap electric gage) look better. In my search for gages, the autometers were the cheapest, but there wasn't a good full sweep gage set available. The ones I settled for were expensive Greddy gages.