EGR and boost leak?

BoostFreak

Nov 11, 2005
Ohio
stupid question I know but running out of ideas, could my egr valve be leaking boost? the sound I'm hearing seems to be coming from the driver side, I fixed a few peoblems now it doesn't hit fuel cut any more adn the wastegate is opening but I can still hear boost leaking and it gets really rouhg when I here it, so is it posible it could be comming from the egr valve?

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Nope EGR is on exhaust side. (exhaust gas recirculation) so that couldn't be leaking boost. The EGR taps into the exhaust before the turbo, it could have a problem and is leaking somewhere. Check all your vacuum lines and IC piping.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Give some more information on what it sounds like. And exactly when its happening.
Like...noise at idle?
Is it a spooling up noise?
Can you make it sound like that with the hood open, maybe you can locate it better.

What method did you use to increase fuel cut?

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Yeah jet, I didn't mention that, "leaking somewhere" upper intake.

BoostFreak

Nov 11, 2005
Ohio
well it doesn't make any noise untill after 5-6 psi, so I can't make the noise with the car still, and the noise is a rushing of air with the sound of paper suck in a fan(you know the sound) no exactly but thats the best way I can say it, a smooth rush of air first and then at aroun 7.5psi and on it gets the papre in fan choppy nois with the rush of air, and no I did nothing to increas fuel cut its all stock with a 9.5 psi spring in the wastegate, and as far as the egr yea I was wondering becasue their is the part that conects to the upper intake manifold

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Sorry Piratetip, didn't mean to come across hard. Could be his EGR valve but it'd have to be an external leak at the gasket, pipe, or diaphram. Sounds like a small leak though, as anything bigger and the car would idle funny. Time to pressurize the intake tract me thinks. I'm lucky enough to have a smoke machine but he could rig up a leak tester. His code 34 says there is way too much air going through the AFM.

BoostFreak

Nov 11, 2005
Ohio
yeah at first it wouldn boost past 6psi and then hit fuel cut well I ahd a bad coupler on my 3000 pipe rixed that now I don't hit fuel cut but still stupid noise, could I be hearing the boost leak out of the diaphram and thats why its such a choppy leak? but its loud as hell tho, louder than the motor and exhaust the only hting louder is the esternal dump wastegate and even then its just barly louder

boost fiend

Banned
Jul 24, 2005
Rockford, Il
get a bottle of really good fuel cleaner(sea foam) and hook it up to a vacume line and keep it running. sea foam will make it smoke. youll see where it is leaking then. that is if it is in the intake area.