Ebay t70 turbo question

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
This question does not pertain to a supra but you guys are very knowledgeable about turbos and the place I usually post about my nova doesnt answer my turbo questions. I want to twin turbo my big block 496. I was looking and saw the t70 turbos on ebay and thought that was a good deal. Is anyone running these on their supras with good results? Or is this a turbo to run from and never think about it again? Any help I greatly appreciated.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
It currently has a Hughes th350 in it but if it decides to go I will put in a powerglide. It says in the add that there t70 is comparable to a garett t61.I want to run 16psi on 91 octane with a 8.2:1cr will running two of these spool fast on a big motor like this. Each cylinder is 1 litre :biglaugh: :evil2:

BosoMKII

Apr 24, 2006
NorCal
Most of the good deals you find on ebay the turbos are from the SS Autochrome seller/suplier. China turbos. They break.

It used to be that the turbos had very high failure rates, anywhere from a few to a few thousand miles and they would self destruct. The two halfs of the compressor housings where epoxied together. I say this from first hand experience with an SSA bought T3/T4.

Rumor has it that the supplier has addressed many of these reliablity issues and the more recently produced turbos are better. Dunno, about that though. I have no first or second hand info to support that, but others are claiming it to be so.

Personally, once was enough for me. I won't buy knockoff stuff anymore.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
my buddie got t70 off ebay it not to bad really

but as in 2 t70's you will have lag how much i guesing about 3000 rpm full boost rough guess if i was you i just go 2 60 1 ones very fast spool and big power as well

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
496? Need more info than that, man. What size camshaft? Heads? Max RPM? What gearing?

Tuning 16psi on a blow through carb is going to really really be a nightmare. What carb are you going with? I heard rumor BG's got a new blow-through-specific carb, so that might help you out...

Vacuum secondaries are going to more than likely be a big 'no'.

I see you said you are running through a TH350 - what speed stall are you running?

Where do you want the turbo to start spooling up? Where do you want max power?

Picking a turbo isn't like walking into Walmart and picking out a TV - just go with what is pretty. :3d_frown:

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
There are two different "T 70" turbo's on Ebay.

The "XS Autochrome", or "XS Power" ones I know nothing about, but have read many accounts of how crappy they are. (Claims of glue, pot metal etc.)

Ok, Then there is the Master Power T70. This turbo is built in Brazil, and it made to specs that rival any turbo I've seen yet. And they are about 700.00 each by the time you pay all the fees, and shipping and the 599.00 for the turbo etc.

There are many MK4's and MK3's running this turbo with good results. Mid 500's easy on pump gas when tuned right and other supporting mods.

So, if a 3L engine can spin one up quite well, your 7+L motor should do just fine with two of them.

I'm also using the Ebay 50mm gate, and belive the quality is excellent for what you pay for the gate. (There is a 60mm gate now that is Vband mounted that I like even better, so you have more options.)

This is not a true "70" turbo either, more like a T66 with a slightly larger compressor wheel. (A T69.5mm if you will.) The P trim hot side has a .68 AR, so it's going to spool up pretty quick, but you lose some ultimate top end due to the smaller housing with the pretty large wheel. The shaft size is "small" but most P trims are that way anyway. No problems on any that I've researched.

If you want to learn more about Master Power, just do a quick search, they have a nice website that has photos of the plant, and people that work there. I like to think of my MP turbo as the "Tarus" of turbo's. All the quality of the Berretta, but 1/2 the price. :)

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
Doward said:
496? Need more info than that, man. What size camshaft? Heads? Max RPM? What gearing?

Tuning 16psi on a blow through carb is going to really really be a nightmare. What carb are you going with? I heard rumor BG's got a new blow-through-specific carb, so that might help you out...

Vacuum secondaries are going to more than likely be a big 'no'.

I see you said you are running through a TH350 - what speed stall are you running?

Where do you want the turbo to start spooling up? Where do you want max power?

Picking a turbo isn't like walking into Walmart and picking out a TV - just go with what is pretty. :3d_frown:
It will have a comp 304hr with .612 lift, fully ported 781 heads that can flow 311cfm @ 600 lift, a victor jr intake, 4.56 gears, and max rpm will be 7k. I would like to hit full boost a little before 3k.The carb will be a 850 mechanical sec. that I will have custom made after I get everything together.the tranny has a 3500 stall.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
I suggest that if you do get the T70s, send them in for a balance and inspection.

Comments from a turbo builder, were that some of the ones they inspected were way out of balance and had cheap, low quality bearings.

Re-balanced and with new quality bearings put in, they should work great.