Drive By Wire Throttle body Romoval?

charddy

May 9, 2008
Roseau, Dominica
Has anyone removed their drive by wire throttle body on say a 2jz-gte VVTi and placing a simple cable throttle body retaining the use of their stock ECU with no problems?

Reason.. MKIII VVTi swap 2jz. Would rather avoid the complication all together and simply use a throttle cable instead of... electronics.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
From your post im getting the impression that you think that the throttle body is moved electronically?

The throttle body is moved with a throttle cable. The only electronic part is the sensor that tells the ECU what position the throttle body is in.

You need that input for the ECU.

If you want to swap your throttle body for a different type, there are ways to adapt the sensor for that specific throttle body to work with your ECU. Its usually just a case of getting the appropriate connector and wiring it to the correct input wire for your ECU.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Yes, but you may have to find a different throttle cable because I think the stock 7m cable is too short. To get mine I just went to a junkyard and pulled one off of a car that had the right length.

Many throttle cables will fit, even from different brands like Nissan, etc.

charddy

May 9, 2008
Roseau, Dominica
Sounds like you have done this already. I can't seem to find someone who has done the 2jz-gte VVti swap into an mk3.. So let me ask you this..

Providing that I have the complete engine, Ecu Harness etc. I should be pretty much good to go.. All I would need to do essentially is swap out my throttle cable. (lets exclude comments of the wiring setup that would be done with a non vvti 2jz-gte..)

Is there anything else that is special.. /different/troublesome for a 2jz-gte VVti swap in comparison to a non vvti 2jz-gte swap into a mk3?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
22re powered Toyota Pickups use a pretty long throttle cable. :)

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
charddy;1194510 said:
Sounds like you have done this already. I can't seem to find someone who has done the 2jz-gte VVti swap into an mk3.. So let me ask you this..

Providing that I have the complete engine, Ecu Harness etc. I should be pretty much good to go.. All I would need to do essentially is swap out my throttle cable. (lets exclude comments of the wiring setup that would be done with a non vvti 2jz-gte..)

Is there anything else that is special.. /different/troublesome for a 2jz-gte VVti swap in comparison to a non vvti 2jz-gte swap into a mk3?

Well, no, its not quite that easy.

You will need to do a few wire adaptions to the harness for the 2jz. The first thing you will need to do is get an accurate wiring diagram for the car that the harness/engine came out of and for the car that it is going into. Then you will have to connect the wires as required to simulate the signals so that the ECU thinks it is in its original chassis. Most of the signals are very similar or the same between the 7m and 2jz but things like the tach may need some type of signal adaptor but you will have to look into that yourself.

Also, were both cars automatic? You will have a hard time getting an auto trans ECU to work with a manual trans car unless you swap in the auto trans with the engine. Of course there are other things to deal with in that aspect like gear selector adjustment, etc.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
shaeff;1194512 said:
22re powered Toyota Pickups use a pretty long throttle cable. :)

I tried to use a 3vze throttle cable but it was way too long. I think I got my throttle cable from an early 80s toyota. If you can get the throttle cable from the car you are getting the motor out of it will probably work.

charddy

May 9, 2008
Roseau, Dominica
p5150;1194520 said:
Well, no, its not quite that easy.

You will need to do a few wire adaptions to the harness for the 2jz. The first thing you will need to do is get an accurate wiring diagram for the car that the harness/engine came out of and for the car that it is going into. Most of the signals are very similar or the same between the 7m and 2jz but things like the tach may need some type of signal adaptor but you will have to look into that yourself.

Also, were both cars automatic? You will have a hard time getting an auto trans ECU to work with a manual trans car unless you swap in the auto trans with the engine. Of course there are other things to deal with in that aspect like gear selector adjustment, etc.

Wouldn't that be the same procedure for the non-vvti 2jz motor swap?..

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
charddy;1194522 said:
Wouldn't that be the same procedure for the non-vvti 2jz motor swap?..

Yeah - I think so. There shouldnt be anything unique on the chassis of a vvti equipped vehicle that you couldnt make work with a MKIII chassis. When you look at the wiring diagram you will know for sure.

If you can find a vvti diagram and post it up I will look at it too.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
VVTi 2jzgte is 50% fly by wire and 50% mechanical. You do need the stock ecu with stock throttle body to work right. I try this with the IS300 VVTi swap we just finished and we ended up going AEM to get rid of the fly by wire once and for all.

Fly by wire will work fine on a mk3 but would be hard to defeat it completely.