Don't know why check engine light comes on and off

supranatural

Apr 7, 2007
Oregon
I need help figuring out why my supra's check engine light flashes on and then off. I had my motor out for a rebuild and just recently got the motor back in..it drives fine(runs rich though) but sometimes the check engine light, along with the battery check light, comes on for a few seconds and then off...sometimes when I'm accellerating at high speed and then throw it into netrual the check engine and battery check would come on and then completly shuts off the engine. I have no clue why it does that?????? If you have some ideas, please let me know, thanks

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
check the codes. it could be a few things.

-shaeff

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Speaking about alternators my car did that one day i was on the high way..... a few days later it did it again. Then a few days later my alternator caught on fire. It turns out the connector(3plug) the wires were falling a part. So i took the connector aprt and fixed all 3 wires and bought a new alternator ..... end of story.

Pull codes and if you get nothing get that alternator checked out and while you are at check the connector

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
bountykilla0118 said:
Speaking about alternators my car did that one day i was on the high way..... a few days later it did it again. Then a few days later my alternator caught on fire. It turns out the connector(3plug) the wires were falling a part. So i took the connector aprt and fixed all 3 wires and bought a new alternator ..... end of story.

Pull codes and if you get nothing get that alternator checked out and while you are at check the connector

This same thing happened to me about a year back, I had no instrument panel lights or taillights either. I must have chased every wire in my chassis just to find out that the wire on the alternator was fried.

That could be why the battery light comes on but if the CEL comes on then it will throw a code, so pull the codes and go from there.

88YotaTurbo

Feb 26, 2006
Wolcott, Ct.
just finished cleaning all the contacts and brushes in my alternator. It has fixed my problem so far but i only drove around for maybe 30 mintues.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
ocassionally when on the highway when i drop the gear to 4th and open her up the check engine light comes on and stays on. but if i shut it off and turn the car on again, it clears. might be something similar... no codes

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
check engine light, brake light, and the battery light on all at once while driving means the alternator is on it's way out or is being diconnected somehow.

check the wiring, if the wiring is fine, it's the regulator.

it won't throw codes either (at least it didn't on mine), as it's acting like the car isn't getting a charge

a CEL from a 4th gear pull is more than likely something else like fuel-cut, but if it's not bucking, then it's something else...

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
Poodles said:
check engine light, brake light, and the battery light on all at once while driving means the alternator is on it's way out or is being diconnected somehow.

check the wiring, if the wiring is fine, it's the regulator.

it won't throw codes either (at least it didn't on mine), as it's acting like the car isn't getting a charge

a CEL from a 4th gear pull is more than likely something else like fuel-cut, but if it's not bucking, then it's something else...

the weird part is that she drives just fine.... pulls real hard past 140mph (wish i had a spedo that went higher)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
yep, drove fine for me too, but it will knock it out of cruise if the CC is on...

it will eventually fail completely (mine lasted about a week of this and they it would stay on for almost an entire minute) I got a new one so I didn't kill my battery...