Does the A/C system have cfc's in the freon

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
Hi, I'd like to take out the A/C system in my car but the car is currently not running so i cant let a garage empty out the freon. I'm concerned about the enviroment and i wouldnt want to release any cfc's into the atmosphere. How can i tackle this situation. thanks
-STeve

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ Pull the hose and run. You wont be alive long enough to deal w/ the effects anyway.

But seriously, if the car doesn't run you're pretty limited on what you can do.

1) tow the car to a shop that can hook a vacuum up the the AC lines and pull it all out.

2) find someone w/ a portable machine like the one described above.

3) hope its converted to r154 (or w/e) since it's environmentally friendly :icon_bigg

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
mkiiSupraMan18 said:
^ Pull the hose and run. You wont be alive long enough to deal w/ the effects anyway.

But seriously, if the car doesn't run you're pretty limited on what you can do.

1) tow the car to a shop that can hook a vacuum up the the AC lines and pull it all out.

2) find someone w/ a portable machine like the one described above.

3) hope its converted to r154 (or w/e) since it's environmentally friendly :icon_bigg

You mean just pull the hose and hold my breath? Will it stain the driveway or whatever?
-Steve

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
my buddies and I were pulling an engine and the AC belt was off, so we figured it was crapp and wasn't charged...
I was back removing the exhaust and I heard this LOUD gushing sound. After I about went through the hatch area from being scared to death, I realized what had happened and all was well.

Didn't hurt us (directly), the floor, the car, or the hose (Maybe the O-ring, I dunno). We did, however, give the garage about 5-10 mins w/ the big fans on to air out anything that might give mess with our lungs, eyes, skin, give us cancer, w/e, but everything seemed to be fine.

If you have a little valve added on to your stock AC line (near the pass side headlight OR the line on the pass wheelwell (inside the engine bay)) I guess they sometimes put the stickers on the hood or somewhere under the hood also. It'll say somethign about being converted.

inline6

Whistle>Whine
Sep 22, 2005
SoCal
You should be fine but I guess it's not good for the environment.

MAKE SURE there is no open flame near it when you let it out though. From what I understand, fire mixed with r12 is one way mustard gas can be made.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
DO NOT LET IT GET IN YOUR EYES!!!! It will freeze your eyes instantley. If you cant find a sticker to see if its been retrofitted look at the fittings. If it looks like a valvestem its r12. If it looks like a air coupler its r134a.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Wow, the uninformed, leading the blind here.

To freeze your eyes, you would need to blast them for awhile, or pour liquid freon into them.

Burning freon is not a good idea, that's true.

Freon is heavier than air, so if you leak it out, it goes to the ground, then flows along as a gas at the ground level till it finds the lowest points possible. (Like the sewer drain for example.)

Your not going to personally affect enough of the atmosphere with your one Supra to make any kind of difference in the world. Further, there was this idea that CFC's were causing a hole in the ozone layer, only they ignored the fact that CFC gases are heavy, so they don't rise up into the air, they sink down, and disaapate eventually. (So how do they get up into the ozone layer miles above the earth... Oh yeah, they don't.)

CFC's were used for years as propellants in things like deodorant, hair spray and spray paint. They are pretty much harmless to humans, and that's why they were so widely used as propellants. You can freeze yourself, but you can do that with other gases like Propane. (Heck, actually any gas that boils at very low tempatures will "freeze" you. It takes heat to boil it off, so when you let that gas go free at normal tempatures, it boils off from a liquid to a gas, and everything around the process get's cold. This is why your AC works in the first place.)

If your so worried about it, just don't open up the system, and the gas and oil will stay in there untill you can dispose of the car, or rebuild it. There is NO reason to remove the condensor to do engine work, and you just unbolt the compressor from the engine, and then use a coat hanger to "hang" it up so there is no stress on the lines while you build your motor. The system stays closed the entire time.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
:fart: ^^^quote..."Further, there was this idea that CFC's were causing a hole in the ozone layer, only they ignored the fact that CFC gases are heavy, so they don't rise up into the air, they sink down, and disaapate eventually. (So how do they get up into the ozone layer miles above the earth... Oh yeah, they don't.)"

Here to help educate you. Knowledge is out there, just use Google. but beware the lies.....

It is true that a person can find articles and websites that will back up the way he "already thinks", as there are others of 'like' mind. (ie: KKK, anti-abortionists, facists, PETA, globalists, fraternaties, clubs, save -the-whale groups,etc)

But most just pass along 'mis-information' that makes them 'feel' right.

Yuo must search harder, and even take some classes at college, and read some printed materials.

BUT in this case, science proves it.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/env99/env256.htm

http://www.cmdl.noaa.gov/noah/publictn/elkins/cfcs.html

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Quote from the Noaa link.
"Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) are nontoxic, nonflammable chemicals containing atoms of carbon, chlorine, and fluorine. They are used in the manufacture of aerosol sprays, blowing agents for foams and packing materials, as solvents, and as refrigerants. CFCs are classified as halocarbons"

Here's more.
"Because of the CFC safety record for nontoxicity, Freon became the preferred coolant in large air-conditioning systems. Public health codes in many American cities were revised to designate Freon as the only coolant that could be used in public buildings. After World War II, CFCs were used as propellants for bug sprays, paints, hair conditioners, and other health care products. During the late 1950s and early 1960s the CFCs made possible an inexpensive solution to the desire for air conditioning in many automobiles, homes, and office buildings. Later, the growth in CFC use took off worldwide with peak, annual sales of about a billion dollars (U.S.) and more than one million metric tons of CFCs produced."

This chapps my hide. Let's let the undeveloped countries, like Mexico for example use the "dangerous" gases... LOL (Dangerous only to ozone, and then only in theory IMHO.)
"This resulted in the Copenhagen Amendment that further limited production and was approved later in 1992. The manufacture of these chemicals ended for the most part on January 1, 1996. The only exceptions approved were for production within developing countries "

Here's something to chew on as well. (Gone by 2050 is the estimate.)
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12888244/

Personally, I think that much has been made of this, and the reason you don't hear much anymore about it is they (The scientists) realized that depleted ozone was not as horrible as everyone thought it was going to be. (And they are not sure exactly what's going on with this ozone deal too. Obviously it's not just man's involvement that has caused the changes, but there are some that would like for you to think that everything man does is harmful to the planet in some way.)

Let's look a few beliefs that were set to rest here.
Freon is not flamable. (The oil used to keep the compressor lubricated and to chase the freon around the system is however.)
Freon is not toxic, or a poison.
Freon will not freeze your eyeballs out. (Sure, if you pour freon over your body, it will get frost bite/burn from that contact, but not just your eyeballs...)

There were refrigerants like Amonia used in the past that were hydrophillic, meaning they love water, so any aquous membranes in your body will become saturated with it if you have any contact with the substance. (Eyes, lips, nose and other mucous membranes in your body.. so I can see the "freeze your eyes out" statement on that one.) But amonia based refrigerants are generally only used in large cold storage's, and not general consumer type units. (I know, I used to work near one, and they have orange wind socks all over the place, if there is a leak, everyone is told to check the windsock, and run into the wind, away from any blowing amonia gas that will kill you if you run through a cloud of it, and I suppose, it would "Freeze your eyeballs out.")

Here is one more thing to consider when your talking man made gases in the total of the atmosphere. Imagine you just pissed in the ocean when your surfing. You just polluted the water! But it's not dangerous to you, or the other animals in the sea because the ocean is so huge it diffuses your waste pretty quickly. (Same thing when the whales take a shit etc.) Now, put your AC system into a even larger ocean of air... I just really don't think man has that much to do with much of anything, especially Ozone concentrations, C02 or other stuff that so many people worry about.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
"Here's something to chew on as well. (Gone by 2050 is the estimate.)
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12888244/"

^^Let's hope so, for our children's sake (as I will likely be up in the Ozone, from cremation):biglaugh:

"I just really don't think man has that much to do with much of anything"

Oh, but we do....we are the GODS of this planet. We, above all other animals, DO things besides: eat, sleep, shit, and screw.:love:

We are far more destructive than Locust ever were.

I want my MTV !!!:biglaugh:

inline6

Whistle>Whine
Sep 22, 2005
SoCal
I just did a quick google and several hits claims that when r12 is burnt with an open flame it creates phosgene (mustard gas). Maybe its not flammable, but I would avoid smoking a cig or playing with fire while releasing it. I wouldn't volunteer to be the test dummy.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
inline6 said:
I just did a quick google and several hits claims that when r12 is burnt with an open flame it creates phosgene (mustard gas). Maybe its not flammable, but I would avoid smoking a cig or playing with fire while releasing it. I wouldn't volunteer to be the test dummy.

Tis very true. We did not know then about poison gas making.

I once knew a fellow mechanic that was standing at the back of a running car with an a/c hose leak. He suddenly fell down.

Turns out (after hospital) that he had breathed in some poison gas. The leak was right in front of the air intake on a carberated car. The r12 freon burned in the engine and came out the tailpipe.

He was never the same. A bit 'twitchy'. They said it was nerve damage.:(

I've been carefull ever since. And I pass it along, too.